Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parnell St/Chinatown

Options
  • 03-10-2005 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone here has tried out any of the new chinese/korean/thai restaurants on the east end of Parnell St?

Loads of new ones have opened in the last few months, along with Asian supermarkets, hairdressers etc..

It really is like a new cultural quarter, so I'm interested in hearing any opinions of the local eateries!

Kev.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭NoDayBut2Day

Hi Kev...

I'm just kind of curious... have you tried Oriental food say from the country itself (Japan, China, etc)? If so, how would you compare that food to the Oriental food served in Dublin?

The reason I ask is that although my family is from Hawaii, we have eaten Oriental food on the mainland, and something that they cook with there (that they don't use here in Hawaii) just doesn't seem to agree with us. Like it's not the real thing, or something.

Yeah, so I was just kinda curious to how the Oriental food is there in lovely Ireland. ;)

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Monosodiumglutamate-tastic...

There are a few things that make me nervous in irish versions of asian eating. Thick rounds of orange carrot are one of them. 'Gloop' is another. A menu with 'chips' or 'omelette' on it is a third.

If I want to be really purist, a complete lack of dumplings anywhere on a chinese menu is another thing that suggests it's a hopeless case. If you've never had dim sum, you may find your asian eating experience is akin to using Sharwoods Curry Powder and deciding you've had it all with Indian food.

On that basis, are there any really good chinese restaurants in Ireland?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'm fairly sure these are actually Asian restaurants run by Asians with largely Asian clientele. I walked past them the other week and there was a rather nice mesh of smells, but I wasn't hungry so I'll never know whether any of them are any good or not.

That really expensive one in Ranelagh is supposed to be top-notch, if it still exists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

There is a really good one beside Wackers pet shop on Parnell St. approximately accross from where lidl is on Moore St it has a double glazed door and a double door arrangement.
    There is a funny incidence of Engrish on the menu called "fried guts" I didn't try that but had a beautiful chili duck, which was MSG free, very nice and spicy.

NoDayBut2Day#: What you are referring to is MSG or monosodium glutamate, the genuine chinese restaurants being discussed here hardly use it at all, only the westernised places, it has to do with the umami (savoury) taste. It was originally made from kelp if I remember the wiki entry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Blub2k4 wrote:
    There is a funny incidence of Engrish on the menu called "fried guts"

I've been in most of the restaurants on Moore Street and I've tried the fried guts.

My (french, bottomless-pit) friend loved it. To my taste buds it actually tasted like turds (seriously.)

It's not worth the effort.

I do love those restaurants though. Especially the one with the black guys questioning you as you enter the building and then blocking the route to the "dvd shop" downstairs. I really really want to see what happens in that building after hours.

• Advertisement

Blub2k4 wrote:

NoDayBut2Day#: What you are referring to is MSG or monosodium glutamate, the genuine chinese restaurants being discussed here hardly use it at all, only the westernised places, it has to do with the umami (savoury) taste. It was originally made from kelp if I remember the wiki entry.

Thanks for the reply. Wow, interesting. All those years and never knowing what was making dad sick... :rolleyes: I'd prefer genuine to westernized anyday...

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

Thanks for the reply. Wow, interesting. All those years and never knowing what was making dad sick... :rolleyes: I'd prefer genuine to westernized anyday...

;)

Most Chinese restaurants will do MSG free if you ask them to.

Blub2k4 wrote:
    Most Chinese restaurants will do MSG free if you ask them to.

Thanks. I'll remember that if I'm ever back on the mainland.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

bloody MSG, good measure of that will keep me awake all night, worse than caffeine IMO.

Advertisement