Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hi-VIS Jackets

Options
  • 03-10-2005 1:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Hi,

Ive been trying to buy a HI-VIS waterproof motorbike jacket like the ones the garda wear.

Not like the one some bikers have from builder shops.

Has anyone got one or know where to get one ?

:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

dranoc wrote:
    Hi,

Ive been trying to buy a HI-VIS waterproof motorbike jacket like the ones the garda wear.

You could try (builders) workwear places or places that do work safety equipment?

let your fingers do the walking...

L.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 ridertraining

dranoc wrote:
    Hi,

Hi all!

dranoc, I may be able to help. I've a few long-sleeve lightweight vest-type jackets (with zips to hold them closed at speed.) They are not waterproof, but are intended to be worn over bike gear. Would you be interested?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 dranoc

Nice one ridertraining,

But its the waterproof that Im after. I spend about 1 hour driving home and if it heavy rain my jacket leaks.

There are waterpfoof over jackets you can buy in the Honda shop but they come in black. (not the best colour for daytime driving)

The garda must get them from somewhere. Im going to stop the next one I come across and knock him out and steal it :D

You mean like this
    They aren't cheap.
    What's your budget?

Yeah,

Just like that but unlined.

Ive searched the net and only found one source:

http://www.niton999.co.uk/index_main.htm

But its expensive and Id like to see it before committing to buy it. Ive seen some guys with very similar jackets on around the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

dranoc wrote:

It's hard to tell if they have elbow & shoulders armour. I'd be interested if they did.

Hi,

No, they dont have armor. There really only for bad weather to be worn over your motorbike jacket. Just like the garda wear them over their leather jackets in the rain or most of the time at this time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

dranoc wrote:
    Yeah,

Just like that but unlined.

But its expensive and Id like to see it before committing to buy it. Ive seen some guys with very similar jackets on around the place.

Nice price indeed! Wonder if you could be done for impersonating a guard with a "POLICE" logo on the jacket? Would sure help to get through traffic :p

Had a quick look for work clothes and found this for 60 yoyos, ex-VAT I presume. I was looking for O'Connor's workwear on Abbey St, opposite M&S delivery entrance. That sort of place should have them on display.

Re murphaph's point about armour: I would not expect this type of gear to be padded. These to me are just waterproof or hi-vis clothing. Motorcycle jacket or spine protector for protection, the extras for waterproofing or visibility. The jacket dranoc seems to be looking for combines weather protection and visibility. Even the small vest yokes cost 20 yoyos or thereabouts.

My own 2 yo jacket has leaked in very heavy downpours at the elbows. I've sprayed with Nikwax and will see how it fares next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Another UK link here with a jacket for about 18 english pounds. Not sure about delivery though...

Hi,

Thanks for the input. But the jackets you get from the builder shops are not really suitable. They dont really cling to you enough for high speed driving and they tend to be too bulkly.

If I find a source Ill let you know.

The search continues .................. :o

• Advertisement

I had a number of the Garda jackets (without logos!) a while ago but they sold out quickly.

For armoured stuff you could try this if the budget allows ;)
    Great video on that page :D

Or Hein Gericke - I'm sure they do a Hi-viz jacket. (Belfast?)

Or perhaps this is what you are looking for.

hth

Can you get more Garda jackets. If you do, drop me a mail and Ill take some off your hands.

Advertisement