Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New car of 1.4 or 1.6L ilk

Options
  • 03-10-2005 8:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

Hi

I just passed my driving test last week, opening up the doors for me to drive car with bigger engines without being loaded for insurance. At the moment Im commuting 50 miles a day into work in my 1l polo. Im thinking that next June I should get a new car with a slightly bigger engine for a smoother and safer journey into work. My budget would be around 7k tops. Does anyone in here have any suggestions for a good reliable car that wont cost me a fortune should anything happen to it ? By next june Ill have 1 year no claims bonus ( hopefully :) ).

ta

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

pontovic wrote:
    Hi

I just passed my driving test last week, opening up the doors for me to drive car with bigger engines without being loaded for insurance. At the moment Im commuting 50 miles a day into work in my 1l polo. Im thinking that next June I should get a new car with a slightly bigger engine for a smoother and safer journey into work. My budget would be around 7k tops. Does anyone in here have any suggestions for a good reliable car that wont cost me a fortune should anything happen to it ? By next june Ill have 1 year no claims bonus ( hopefully :) ).

ta

Sad to say even with full license your insurance will not fall all that much......if you go up from a 1ltr to something bigger you will still be paying alot....what age are you because alot of insurance quotes depends on this!! anyway would move from petrol to Dieseal.....as I have argued many time son boards diesel is cheaper to run!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

Big Nelly wrote:
    Sad to say even with full license your insurance will not fall all that much......if you go up from a 1ltr to something bigger you will still be paying alot....what age are you because alot of insurance quotes depends on this!! anyway would move from petrol to Dieseal.....as I have argued many time son boards diesel is cheaper to run!

Im 23 and I have my own policy now. I was a named driver for 5 months from january this year and then i got my own car in june and i have had my own policy since then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

pontovic wrote:
    Im 23 and I have my own policy now. I was a named driver for 5 months from january this year and then i got my own car in june and i have had my own policy since then.

Still going to be alot of cash because you are under 25......prob a Dub driver which put up policy if your with anyone but FBD(my company)........if you are going for car prob would take an intermediate engine size till you hit 25.....either a 1.3/1.4 if you want to stay with petrol or a 1.7/1.9 or similiar size if you want diesel....dont go near anything fancy...e.g. Tdi or so on.....once you hit 25 and because you have your own policy will be able to upgrade no problem....I was with a 1.6 for years but I only had because was first insurance was on a 3.1Turbo Diesel so 1.6 wasnt that bad.....have moved onto 1.9Tdi now and insurance say I will have no problems moving to bigger engines now without much of an increase!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I agree with Big_Nelly,
    Diesel is a usually a better option. So a 1.4 Diesel engine would probably suit you best. (Note: A 1.4L Diesel car costs exactly the same to tax and insure as its petrol equivalent).
    The 1.4tdi polo springs to mind, but the Fabia would be far better value for money. But I am not sure whether it has a 1.4 Diesel option and how long ago it was introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,189 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Guys, the OP has a budget of €7k max so really your not going to get one of those 1.4 diesel cars for that kind of money unless it has been to the moon and back.

Also the Fabia was never available in 1.4 TDi, it only comes in 1.9 SDi or 1.9 TDi. Plus the OP wants something a bit bigger than his/her current Polo so that kind of rules the Fabia, etc out.

For €7k you could get something like a 99 1.4 Focus, Astra, Corolla or Golf, etc. While none of these cars are particularly fast in 1.4, they will get you to your destination safely and in comfort.

Most have creature comforts such as cd player, electric windows and remote central locking as standard, my choice would probably be the Focus which is a good car allround and looks better than the new model imo. They are also a very popular car so there should be plenty to choose from.

Here is a nice example and it even comes with a 2 year NCT.
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=297566

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,189 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Forget to mention the Seat Leon also:

Here is a nice low mileage one:
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=302166

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

The Audi A3 is nice. It's comes with a 1.6 .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭pontovic

thanks everyone for the helpful replies

Advertisement