Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School projectors and inspectors

Options
  • 03-10-2005 7:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭

Remember in primary school those projectors in class, cant remember what we used to look at but we hadnt a proper screen so what we viewed was always just on the wall!

Also remember the inspectors that used to come around every so often from the Board of Ed, we used to always have one called Mr.Brick and according to my mam who teaches, hes still lurking around :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Heh I had Mr. Brick too!

I clearly remember the name because it used to conjour up all kinds of images in my head of him throwing bricks at us if we got a question wrong. Turns out the only person who needed to worry when an inspector turned up was THE TEACHER as he was purely there to check up on them! Damn those primary teachers for lying to impressionable kids and making out like he was here to inspect 'us'!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Mr. Brick is my uncle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

oh er.. wasnt he the best inspector ever! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

LOL, I remember I used to pull the fuses from the projectors so we didnt have to watch :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Does anyone remember the slideshows primary school teachers used to teach Irish? They usually featured Pól agus Tomás who invariably around May used to go ar an traen on a weekend to Páirc an Crócaigh. Also it was not unusual for one or other of them to bris their ankle agus iad ag imirt peile. They all wore flares and hopelessly dated 70s clothes even though I was in primary school in the early nineties they were still wearing them.

They were awful troublemakers too, a bad influence on poor impressionable youngsters you might say. I remember one geimhreadh they poured water on the driveway of a seanfhear's house so that overnight it would turn into leac oighir so that the following morning he would go out to get the paper and slip and break a hip and spend the rest of his days in an old folks home cos he'd obviously be to afraid to venture back into his neighbourhood with these youn pups roaming around ag déanamh praidchaíocht ar na elderly. Oh the divilment those guys used to get up to - still though, Daidí na Nollag never failed to show up come December.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

those names do ring a bell and the clothes, do remember them being a bit old for that time, young hoodlums. drilling into children to rebel against authority from a young age through Irish, very sly :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭brian crackout

gaf1983 wrote:
    Does anyone remember the slideshows primary school teachers used to teach Irish? They usually featured Pól agus Tomás who invariably around May used to go ar an traen on a weekend to Páirc an Crócaigh. Also it was not unusual for one or other of them to bris their ankle agus iad ag imirt peile. They all wore flares and hopelessly dated 70s clothes even though I was in primary school in the early nineties they were still wearing them.

They were awful troublemakers too, a bad influence on poor impressionable youngsters you might say. I remember one geimhreadh they poured water on the driveway of a seanfhear's house so that overnight it would turn into leac oighir so that the following morning he would go out to get the paper and slip and break a hip and spend the rest of his days in an old folks home cos he'd obviously be to afraid to venture back into his neighbourhood with these youn pups roaming around ag déanamh praidchaíocht ar na elderly. Oh the divilment those guys used to get up to - still though, Daidí na Nollag never failed to show up come December.

oh man the memories!! anyone know where i could get to see some of those slides again?? we used to have comhra class in irish first thing every monday morning... any one remember that book 'Buail Liom', big orange covered book with the dullest and most boring pictures inside.. it give me a tinneas cinn thinking about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

i thought it was Niabh agus Pol, or was it Niamh agus Paid? meh

The storylines were on rols of film, none of this fancy slideshow malarky.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭cookiemonst3r

We used to watch 'Muzzy' in school. I HATED it. is mise Muzzy mór... *shudder*
    one of the inspectors is my friends dad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

yeah we used to have it and you had to put the projector on a few books to get the roll of film on the screen. we used to put it in upside down for the craic. one of the ass kissers would get to work the projector. we used to be sly and flick it on a few slides ;-) mad looking fells those lads very seventies!
    nothing will ever beat anne and barry books though!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

yeah Ann & Barry were great. I remember the time Rover went missing and they were all upset but they still had their cheesey grins in the pics!! --> :D We had the projector thing to i don't remember that much abt them except one the transformer went in ours - there was a big bang and some smoke!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

did you see the email that went round - "ann and barry" 21st century? it was hilarious!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

ahh the projector on the wall.....memories....

anne and barry, they were cool, i knew a barry who had a girlfriend ann, the stick they used to get!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭ciaran76

We had a big blue projector and a grey one and the teachers used to always mess it up putting the film into it.You know the ones where there was 2 rolls on either side of the lens and you twisted one roll untill it was finished.

I remember 1 teacher been so pissed off she couldn't get the film the right way round that she just turned the projector upside down !!! :o

What i always do remember about it was the amount of dust that i could see floating across the light beam , sad i know but i was bored :o;)

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

Ah yes, the hand cranked projector with the "mindless" irish lesson. Id like to have seen an "adult" version of Pol and whoever..
    The head teacher in primary of course had the kodak carousel projector the one with thr remote and the "lick" kid always had the remote in his hand. Jesus I hated school in the 80s....

Dont forget the reel to reel irish tapes and then the "coomber" branded cassette machines (Looked like 4 house bricks put together) where the tone was so crap I remember geting out of the desk and cleaning the damn heads cos I couldnt hear the sound... rant....

Inspectors, oh yeah, horror of horrors when the inspector came. You were "groomed" to produce some ridiculous speech or whatever in irish for him.. Shotgun anyone???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Irjudge1

What's all this projector crack. We had a black board covered in felt which we use to stick feckin liathroids, seipeils agus rothar buis on to. Maybe our teachers weren't au fait with the technology. We did however receive our SPRAOI magazines in a big brown box a couple of times a year. Talk about excitement. We were fit to be tied reading the stories about the badger and hedgehog and all their little woodland, irish speaking mates.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

In the first 5 or so years of primary school we had projectors and slides, but we also had this velcro board. You stuck the various objects onto it (think it might have been a school room or farm yard backround or something) and recited them in Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Irjudge1 wrote:
    We did however receive our SPRAOI magazines in a big brown box a couple of times a year. Talk about excitement.

Legendary! You have just rescued that memory from falling out of my head completely!

Advertisement