Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford and the Dublin Media

Options
  • 02-10-2005 12:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Here's a quote from this weeks Businese Week column in the Sunday Tribune by Paul O'Kane
    The road infrastructure from Dublin to Dundalk is fast appraoching the standards of a modern western European state, but the National Raods Authority still have much work to do to replicate these conditions on other major routes. The roads between Dublin and the cities of Cork, Galway, Sligo and Limerick still leave a lot to be desired.

Now I'm a generous sort of chap but I really can't see how one can think Waterford and type Sligo - even with a hangover. Does O'Kane genuinely belive Sligo to be a city and Waterford not? Maybe he does.

If so what does tell us about our media profile and image, if we have one?

Mike.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Marcopolo85

mike65 wrote:
    Here's a quote from this weeks Businese Week column in the Sunday Tribune by Paul O'Kane

Now I'm a generous sort of chap but I really can't see how one can think Waterford and type Sligo - even with a hangover. Does O'Kane genuinely belive Sligo to be a city and Waterford not? Maybe he does.

Mike.

Agree with you Mike. RTE have been at this for years (I have made umpteen complaints) and now it's transferring to the print media. Does this moron have an e-mail address? If so pass it on here and we shopuld all bombard him to t :D each him a lesson!

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

This is the online article version (you have to register to view but it only takes a minute):
    http://www.tribune.ie/article.tvt?_ticket=3XGR69KACK3SMLDEIOQNJQSEAOWO96RGUU4HIOSBANVGDPQCJGSGX2LXVNNAD0VHIRKACK3AHDQFIR09ANZK9LLHEGSG0SQFIU09ANZJ9LLGOGSG0WQFIVQ9AN0H9LLDN4LX4&_scope=Tribune/Business/Business%20Week&id=29497&SUBCAT=Tribune/Business&SUBCATNAME=Business

Paul O'Kane's e-mail address is pokane@tribune.ie :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Dac51

The latest tv ad for Iarnrod Eireann features Craig Doyle explaining how great and wonderful the rail network is (and will be in the future).

We get a glimpse of a rail timetable showing major destinations: Belfast, Dublin, Cork, Galway, Limerick and wait for it..... Wexford.

Another example of Waterford being the 'forgotten' city.

Dac51 wrote:
    The latest tv ad for Iarnrod Eireann features Craig Doyle explaining how great and wonderful the rail network is (and will be in the future).

We get a glimpse of a rail timetable showing major destinations: Belfast, Dublin, Cork, Galway, Limerick and wait for it..... Wexford.

Another example of Waterford being the 'forgotten' city.

More of it. But we have to get off our arses and complain!! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Here's my e-mail
    I trust it was intoxicating substances not Dulbin media ignorance that caused your fingers to type SLIGO when you surely meant WATERFORD, in this weeks Business Week column.

Cheers

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

Sligo is a city? is that like Kilkenny is a "city".....

kano476 wrote:

Got it in one! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭Bards

Here is my response

=======================================================

Dear Mr. O'Kane,

I am loath to think how much the taxpayer has paid for your education over the years (another rip -off) when you obviously don't have any comprehension of Irish Geography. Since when was Sligo made a City and Waterford downgraded to a town? At the last blue moon perhaps?.... oh wait no Sligo is a town and Waterford is a City.

We here in the Waterford City and the South East in general are finding it difficult enough increasing our profile on the National Stage without embicilies like you undoing all the good work and effort that has taken place over the last few years.

Regards..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

The usual ****. I'm glad to see people living in Waterford getting pissed off with this. In Dublin this sort of thing is cronic.

Bards wrote:
    Here is my response

=======================================================

Dear Mr. O'Kane,

I am loath to think how much the taxpayer has paid for your education over the years (another rip -off) when you obviously don't have any comprehension of Irish Geography. Since when was Sligo made a City and Waterford downgraded to a town? At the last blue moon perhaps?.... oh wait no Sligo is a town and Waterford is a City.

We here in the Waterford City and the South East in general are finding it difficult enough increasing our profile on the National Stage without embicilies like you undoing all the good work and effort that has taken place over the last few years.

Regards..

Anyone get a reply from this person yet? :confused:

• Advertisement

Anyone get a reply from this person yet? :confused:

Nope.

No reply here yet, I would'nt mind betting his inbox was full to bursting this morning.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭Bards

no reply here yet

Bards wrote:
    no reply here yet

And still no reply at this end. Don't think there's going to be one!! We'll have to do 'Letters To The Editor'. :eek:

And still no reply at this end. Don't think there's going to be one!! We'll have to do 'Letters To The Editor'. :eek:

Indeed!

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

FFS what is it with substituting Sligo for Waterford. Even years ago I heard that on the radio on some item on News at One. :mad: Then in a different context, some sports journalists on the Soccer Show (I think that's what it was called) that was on a few years ago were discussing the relegation battle, in which both Sligo Rovers and Waterford United were involved (for a change hehe) and one of the journalists said "It would be terrible for Sligo to go down, they have such a great footballing tradition" like WTF WTF WTF?!?!?!? I know Waterford United are fairly cat now, but between those 2 teams, I think the Blues have a bit more fupping tradition. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

compare the traditions?

Still no reply. I'll be looking for an acknowledgment in his next column.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Still no reply. I'll be looking for an acknowledgment in his next column.

Mike.

Likewise. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Maharet

kano476 wrote:

Nope they have no claim to it, they've never been one and they don't have the right in an Act to call it one either!

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

Still no reply from this individual. No acknowledgement in column either. :mad:

Advertisement