Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert History

Options
  • 02-10-2005 12:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭

Are the number of students doing this, dropping? I just find it shameful that in the school nearby there is no leaving cert history class. Should something be done? Should it be made compulsory in some form?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Tim3115,

I know from my experiene, that the secondary school I was in didnt do history due to the fact that not enough wanted to do it. Not very fair on those that did want to do history or whom might need it on the leaving cert results. So I had a talk with the principal and eventually we were provided with a teacher for history, all two of us that were in the class :D .

I only started the history classes in October 2001 and did my leaving the following June. I was only allowed do ordinary level, but still got an A1.

CroppyBoy1798

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭tim3115

Yeah same here. Got an A1 in the ordinary paper as none of the class were allowed attempt the honours one. Honours was a joke anyways, you had to be good at both English and History to have any chance of getting a decent mark.

What do you think about making it compulsory? Or maybe outings throughout the year? There's so much that can be done with the subject in my eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭tim3115

Any thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭GUBU

In my own experience it's been the opposite situation...I did Leaving Cert History this year and there were 15 or 16 in the class. The year before it was only 3. I believe it's about 20 in the current 6th year class. However, the History teacher is excellent and it's compulsory to do 6 weeks of History in Transition year so people can see what Leaving Cert History is actually like.

Everyone in the class was expected to do honours - I don't think anyone went down to ordinary as they got used to the format of honours essays etc. As far as I know most people got on well, I got an A1 myself so obviously I was happy with the way it had been taught.

I don't think it should be compulsory up to Leaving Cert level - although it's regrettable that some students don't want to study history, particularly that of their own country, it would only cause resentment among people who have absolutely no interest in the subject. Maybe the occasional trip out would attract more people to the subject, but it would have to be something worthwhile. The new course is also supposed to be more suitable for people who were put off by the fact that the exam was entirely essay-based.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭arctic lemur

I usedto be a history teacher and i think that the only way to understand the present is to understand the past. I dont think it should be made compulsory as it could lead to apathy. However it could be more 'hands on'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Tovarishch

Aren't they changing the course to make it more 'hands on'. I seem to recall reading something about placing a greater emphasis on projects that are done in 5th and 6th year or something like that. I also believe that they are changing the course content to bring it more up to date.

Can anyone confirm that? I don't remember whether what I read was certain or just a proposal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I think if there's low numbers for history, it's probably because of the stigma around it being impossible... I know the course has changed, but the old course, when you hear "5 essays", it sounds a bit too much. Especially for someone just going into 5th year! We had good enough numbers for leaving cert history in my school... The subject seems to be more "cool" lately, as far as I can tell, with the Michael Collins-type films.

Well anyway, I certainly enjoyed it, and I'd recommend it to anyone once they're willing to work at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 gavin18

history is ruined with subjects that mean nothing to children, they talk about the sunningdale agreement?? that failed and changed nothing! if you ask me its an outdated course

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭jonniebgood1

gavin18 wrote: »
    history is ruined with subjects that mean nothing to children, they talk about the sunningdale agreement?? that failed and changed nothing! if you ask me its an outdated course

Please do not bump old threads as per charter
    you should not bump old threads unless there is a worthwhile reason for doing so such as new information or a new source that relates to the subject.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055234973

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement