Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

new honda civic

Options
  • 01-10-2005 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭

link#

what a sexy car

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭DirtyDog

what a sexy car

Your kidding right??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Looks as nice as a steak on a vegetarian's plate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

A Vast improvement to the 01-05 model (yuck).

I'd say it will look a lot better with a small lip and side skirts.

Although that front grill has to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,025 ✭✭✭✭unkel

The only thing I like about it is the concealed rear door handles (copied from Alfa Romeo)

Honda needs to copycat a lot more style cues from European cars imho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Sexy car!!!!! I don't think so. It looks like an Opel Tigra/Fiat Punto cross to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

unkel wrote:
    The only thing I like about it is the concealed rear door handles (copied from Alfa Romeo)
    Honda needs to copycat a lot more style cues from European cars imho
    I'd say Honda needs to copycat a lot less. This car is much bolder and fresher than previous euro-box civics. The interior & dash are unashamedly Japanese, and so much the better for it.

Didn't we have this discussion recently?? I miss the search feature A LOT.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

It looks like a Ford Puma to me...But its minging....
    junkyard wrote:
    Sexy car!!!!! I don't think so. It looks like an Opel Tigra/Fiat Punto cross to me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Hate that colour scheme, but if it was all in black, with some tinted windows it might recapture the "on the way to a drive-by..." look of the older ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

moe pics
    and aother pic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

stevenmu wrote:
    Hate that colour scheme, but if it was all in black, with some tinted windows it might recapture the "on the way to a drive-by..." look of the older ones.

that is not the colour scheme, its a way of obscuring the panel design to stop other manufacturers getting the jump on honda, you often see that with spy shots.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭jayok

stevenmu wrote:

In black like the attachment?

I have to say I love styling of the new Civic. Really bold and I think it will look much better in real-life as your eye will really see the angles, lines, etc. However, I don't think that they will be a success in Ireland.

As for the engines, a pityfully slow 1.4, the 1.8 and 2.2 engines are the ones that will make the car interesting. However even though the 1.8 will deliver lower emmissions and more efficiency than any other engine in its class (including Honda's own D16V1 1.6) our VRT system will tax the car out of most people's price range (i.e. Irish Civic buyers budget).

Honda Europe (like most manufactuers) don't really care about the Irish market as its too small. Instead they focus on the UK market and we simply get whatever is going. But such is life - a pity really - I could be driving a newer, cleaner and more efficient car, but instead I am "forced" by VRT to buy a less efficient model :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

don't really care about the Irish market as its too small

You must be joking. We are flooded with cars, believe me honda Ireland will market and sell it.

It is pricy but so is every new Civic. I remember a new civic was IR£14,000
    Back when I was in school so taking into the 18K seems about right to me.

Looking at the 2nd pictures posted it does look a lot better then I thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,158 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The current Civic starts at just over €18k for the basic poverty spec 1.4 3 door hatchback. The new model will probably jump by about €1k as always new models rise in price in Ireland. Also Honda probably will not sell the 1.8 or 2.2 here as there is very little demand for them in Ireland due to high VRT, road tax and insurance. The biggest seller will be the 1.4 and you may see a 1.6 also plus limited numbers of the Type R.

The current Civic was available in 1.7 I-CTDI diesel in the UK for the last 2 years but was never sold here because it was too expensive and demand for it in the UK meant that most were sold there.

As the Civic hatchback is made in the UK all right hand drive models were split between the UK and Ireland. Its all down to supply and demand. There is very little demand in the UK for a 1.4 Civic, most sold there are 1.6 or greater and this works out nicely for Honda as most 1.4 Civics find their way to Ireland.

The same is said with the Focus, Astra, Golf, etc most are not even available in the UK in basic 1.4 spec.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

jayok wrote:
    In black like the attachment?
    It was the black and white first image I didn't like, as Thumper suggests, that was probably to hide the lines, the later images look really good.

You must be joking. We are flooded with cars, believe me honda Ireland will market and sell it.

They will sell the 1.4 but as bazz26 suggests the bulk sales here would be for the 1.4. Unfortunately this will be the basic spec and if anyone has seen the performance specs it'll do 0-60 in 15 seconds :eek: Great for economy, not really inspiring to drive.

Point to note, the whole of the Irish market sales is equivalent to the sales of a mid-sized dealer in the UK- this is what I mean is that Honda Europe don't care about the Irish market. I don't doubt Honda Ireland (which simply has a franchise off Honda Europe) will import the cars, however to really appreciate the car you'll need the 1.8 or 2.2 and this just isn't going to happen. As such the poorly performing 1.4 will be the base test and this is why I don't think it will be a success.
    The biggest seller will be the 1.4 and you may see a 1.6 also plus limited numbers of the Type R.

This is the killer, there will be no 1.6 Civic. There is no 1.6 engine developed for this generation. As such your options will be the 1.4, 1.8 or 2.2 (aka screwed on VRT and tax). In addition to this range expect to see the Type-R which will probably be a 2.0 litre (although rumours of a 2.2 abound)

So basically you're looking at a €20k 1.4 Civic or your next option will be the €28k-30k 1.8 Civic. That's some gap in prices. Normally the 1.6 fills the void in price difference, but since there isn't going to be one the VRT really throws off the prices between the model.
    As the Civic hatchback is made in the UK all right hand drive models were split between the UK and Ireland. Its all down to supply and demand. There is very little demand in the UK for a 1.4 Civic, most sold there are 1.6 or greater and this works out nicely for Honda as most 1.4 Civics find their way to Ireland.

Actually, this is not the case. Honda Ireland orders its cars off Honda Manufacturing UK upto 7 months in advance and the cars are specifically built for the Irish market. The minimum order of any model is 5 units so if you take the rarer models (like the current Civic Sport) you'll find there's only 5 blue in the country (only 5 were ordered in 2004). There is no split between the Irish and UK market like you've suggested. For example current Honda's are order with a km/hr dial whereas the UK still order MPH. It's simply a fact that we order (on a percentage basis) 1.4s because of tax and insurance, it's nothing to do with the split.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Tanabe

Fair play to Honda on the new Civic - I think it's a beaut!

You have to hand it to them, their design on cars sets the standard for all to follow. That pic of the new Civic in black is well nice.

I drive a Type R myself so will be looking forward to the next offering from them!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,025 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Didn't we have this discussion recently??

Yeah I think so :confused:
    I miss the search feature A LOT.

Same here. It should be back up very shortly :)
    jayok wrote:
    As for the engines, a pityfully slow 1.4, the 1.8 and 2.2 engines are the ones that will make the car interesting

Nearly all Civics sold in Ireland in recent times have been the 1.4. I've no doubt this will be the same for the new model. *Yawns*

€18k for the basic 1.4 is bonkers too

Nearly all Civics sold in Ireland in recent times have been the 1.4. I've no doubt this will be the same for the new model. *Yawns*

They have been 1.4s due to taxation. There is nothing yawn about this it is simply the requirement of the markets and the class of car. If only the bulk of the cars sold were the 2 litre Type R and 2 litre Type S :D
    €18k for the basic 1.4 is bonkers too

Agreed, but even more bonkers, I reckon the newer 1.4 will come in at €20k. Has anyone ever seen car prices drop between newer generarions?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

so want one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement