Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Shawshank Redemption

Options
  • 10-09-2001 12:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭

Just watched it again on channel 4 and it's still one of my favourite films of all time, brilliant stuff, just gone and ordered the DVD. There's something special about it for me, it's one of the only films I'd watch again and again........ Anyone else see/seen it? Opinions?

I'll try adding a poll at the bottom to see if it works but I don't think it's working properly yet :).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭R. Daneel Olivaw

Saw it as well....incredible movie. The Green Mile was on last night as well. Stephen King really knows how to tell a great story out of very basic elements (guy gets sent to prison for crime he didn't commit.....come on, it's sounds aweful :) ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭Littletinyman

Yeah, amazing movie. Saw it on TV ages ago, then bought the VHS for £5 a few months later, and have watched it 3/4 times since... probably my favourite film of all time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Its like so: good

One of my favourites - best movie of last 10 years :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Paleface

Its one of my favourite movies of all time. Was flicking through the stations last night and couldn't stop myself watching it again for the hundreth time. I think its fits into the same category as the Usual Suspects regarding the twist at the end. Those kind of films are always good no matter how many times you watch them.
    So whens it on again?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Belisarius

Yeah I saw the Green mile aswell , excellent film , but it doesnt have a patch on the Shawshank Redemption , that film is just burned into my mind , excellent film

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

aye, i thought shawshank was excellent... i heard ppl criticise it because it didn't portray a prison like that from the time as it should have been, but i thought the film was great
    the green mile was terrible imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Belisarius

As i said , not a patch on the Shawshank Redemption ,but it was "Nice" Sweet little film , except for the Exectution scene..which actually had my mate blowing chunks :/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Saw it a few weeks ago,cant remember which chanel.
    Brilliant film,class twist at the end.
    The Green Mile was kewl aswell,the execution scene was a bit much tbh, great storyline to it tho....especcially cos its a prison movie...like what can happen in a prison that we havent seen before ?? everything in this movie !!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Definately one of the greatest films of all time.

Any interesting extras on the dvd?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Volvagia

It really is a great film the was a special thingy about it on CH4 that weekend with interviews one night and the directors cut on the next night i think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by Kyro
    Definately one of the greatest films of all time.

Any interesting extras on the dvd?

Not likely if it's a Warner Bro's. film ... their treatment of the DVD format re: extra features, etc. is woeful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Yea, shawshank is a modern-day classic.
    Watched it many many many many.... many many times.
    Still great to come back and watch it again even after seeing it a billion times, it's just one of those films :)
    So many small nuances to pick up on each time you watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Yep, definitely one of my all time favourites. I love the bit when he puts on the italian opera record, class stuff. Speaking of prison films, Escape from Alcatraz was on last night, that's another classy flick, not as polished as Shawshank but definitely still has it after all these years. Best line in that has to be

Black Guy: Now I figure there's two reasons why you didn't sit on my step. Either you're too scared, or you just hate ****.
    Morris: Well........... I just hate ****.

Classy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Excellent film...loved it another great one ( i thought ) was Sleepers, jasus Kevin Bacon was great i wanted to tear his heart out feed it too him on a spoon! LOL .... excellent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

one of my favourite films - only realised the young guy who Tim Robbins helped out was the guy from Ally McBeal series (Billy) when I watched it on C4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Kix

Fantastic movie. One of my girlfriends favourites. DVD should be in the post as I write this. For me, it's Morgan Freeman's film. He makes it what it is.

K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

Ah yes, Morgan Freeman is one of my favourite actors, brilliant stuff in shawshank......and speaking of DVDs mine arrived today :D £8 stg, region 2, with no delivery charge from www.play247.com nice! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Originally posted by Mills
    Ah yes, Morgan Freeman is one of my favourite actors, brilliant stuff in shawshank......and speaking of DVDs mine arrived today :D £8 stg, region 2, with no delivery charge from www.play247.com nice! :)

Heck, great value on that site (thanks) - cheaper than Blackstar etc.

Extras on the Shawshank DVD - not really. You do get a widescreen and pan and scan version (opposite sides of the disc) which I quite like. The US release only has a few stills as extras, the UK version has interviews.

Advertisement