Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! - Wireless network with a PC

Options
  • 30-09-2005 10:37am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭

Folks,
    I'm looking to start a wireless network at home, mainly to share internet access, rather than sharing files.
    My main machine at the is a PC, though I'll be getting a Mac mini next month, so I'll want the wireless solution to be Mac compatible.

My internet comes from an NTL broadband modem, not a router, just a modem.

What hardware should I buy to get this working?
    By the way, I'm used to PC networking, just not wireless.

Cheers,
    S.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I've found macs to be the easiest machines to connect to any network, wired or otherwise.

At home I've bb with esat. I connect my modem to an smc barricade wireless switch, and have 3 clients - 1 windows pc, 1 ibook and a mac mini connecting.

This is the wireless switch I bought:
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=309105&cks=PRL

The macs have built-in airport extreme cards. I'm using WPA encryption,
    getting very good speeds and it's all quite straightforward.
    (the barricade is doing NAT so the modem thinks I've only one client)

One thing I'd do differently is get a bb modem and switch in one if possible.
    It saves a bit of messing around with the setup (2 subnets and a bit of port forwarding).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Any wireless router will work with a Mac, as long as it's based on 802.11b/g (everything you can buy is), so you do not have to worry about compatibility. I've used all kinds myself, from well known brands like D-Link and Linksys, to unknown generic gear from various companies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Cool, thanks. I ordered a broadband router from broadbandbuyer.co.uk (Ordered it Friday 3pm, arrived at my house 8am Saturday! - very impressed with the service)

Just going to wait to get my Mac now :-)

Advertisement