Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question from a College Student

Options
  • 29-09-2005 11:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I am a college student from Hawaii and I was thinking about studying abroad in Ireland. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good university? I am very interested in learning more about Irish history as well as the language. I am currently looking at University College Dublin.

Thanks for your help...

~NoDayBut2Day <><
    xoxo
    :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Hmmmm, try this linkie... http://www.educationireland.ie/htm/why_ireland/studying_ireland.htm

You'll have to consider a lot more information as well, like living, working, visas, accommodation, what it'll be like being 'foreign' in an irish university, so on, so forth...

Boards.ie isn't a bad place to get to know Irish students either. If you look under the Soc menu at the top, and go to education, you'll see that the universities have their own forums (fora?) - including UCD...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭NoDayBut2Day

Hi Minesajackdaniels... ;)

Thanks so much for the response, suggestions and the link; I appreciate it!! I know it's quite a lot to think about when going to another country; it would be really cool, though. :cool:

I'll try to talk to some of the Irish students in that section of the forum you mentioned as well; thanks!!

~NoDayBut2Day <><
    xoxo
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 studentjourno

If you're thinking of Irish history Trinity College Dublin is the oldest university in Ireland and well known for its quality education - it has lots of foreign students and is located in the centre of Dublin.

UCD is also well respected but its further out of town and is a bit of a concrete jungle.

If you think you might like to be outside of Dublin look into the National University of Ireland in Galway (great city for students) and University College Cork - a very beautiful and old college. Also studying in either of these colleges would mean your rent will be cheaper than in Dublin.

If its an undergraduate degree you're looking at you would be applying to study arts. In your first year you choose a number of subjects and by your final year you whittle it down to one. You can study anything from geography to germanic languages, irish history to politics- its very diverse.

If you think the north of Ireland might be interesting (I love Belfast) - look at studying in Queen's University Belfast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭NoDayBut2Day

Hi studentjourno..

Thanks for the suggestions! :) I'll look into some of the colleges you recommended.

:D

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

any luck?
    i'm in trinity college myself and if you need to ask any questions, Just click on the Forum, or just send me a PM.

• Advertisement
Advertisement