Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Circular Concrete Cast (where to get one?)

Options
  • 29-09-2005 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭

Hello,

Does anyone know where I can source a circular Concrete cast? In to which I can pour conrete that will set in a cylindrical shape.

I'm looking for something like this Sonotube

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

If it was a once off then you could maybe use a sewage pipe and cut it when the cast has set?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

What height , and what diameter,
    kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭thedesigntribe

Hey

Yop I though of that but can't find a pipe big enough.

I need a mold that's 20" to 24" in diameter. I've often seen pipes of this size on road construction sites.

Height wise anything from 4 feet upwards will do.

Any ideas?

You could make your own from bendable ply, and 18 mm ply rings, rather like a napkin in a napkin ring.

Seamless 45 gallon oil drums , new ones , and cut the bottem out.

Plastic 45 gallon containers.

kadman :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭flocker

Designtribe,
    another suggestion, checkout Made in Hollywood for positive and negative molds and forms for concrete and plaster. They are made from expanded polystyrene foam, but could be supported with a plywood frame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

kadman wrote:
    You could make your own from bendable ply, and 18 mm ply rings, rather like a napkin in a napkin ring
    You may not get a proper circle with this.

I would go with the Sonotube or similar, but for that height make sure its properly propped.

Just ask a builder's providers for cardboard circular formwork.

Victor wrote:

I would go with the Sonotube or similar, but for that height make sure its properly propped.

I suspect the " You " is a generalisation of the general population that would attempt this form. :D

I expect "kadman " is exempt from this general loose term :D , as I can assure you , I would get a perfect circle well within tolerances laid down for concrete form work. :cool:

You would get a perfect circle if you know what you are doing. The quality of your work is relative to the amount of effort, and common sense you put into it

If he can get a cardboard forms, excellent. If he cant, then shuttered form is an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

"You" = "One"

:p

Touchee ...Victor ;);)

Victor wrote:

Hey Victor,

I've tried a few with no luck, where have you seen 'cardboard circular formwork' in stock? (which builder suppliers?)

ta.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hmmmmm,

If "one" were to sub out the contract, "we" may see a concrete pipe filled and then broken away from said finished product ?

Should the structure be non load bearing "one" could obtain said concrete pipes and apply a render finish to the standing pipes thereby achieving a finish conducive to the surrounding finiishes ?

All things being consider RooKad would make the usual astronomical fee in accordance with their Boards pricing structure, ergo advance to ye nearest builders providers and purchase the aforementioned the cardboard core :)

rooferPete wrote:
    Hmmmmm,

If "one" were to sub out the contract, "we" may see a concrete pipe filled and then broken away from said finished product ?

Should the structure be non load bearing "one" could obtain said concrete pipes and apply a render finish to the standing pipes thereby achieving a finish conducive to the surrounding finiishes ?

All things being consider RooKad would make the usual astronomical fee in accordance with their Boards pricing structure, ergo advance to ye nearest builders providers and purchase the aforementioned the cardboard core :)

Do I detect a hint of a Dublin 4 accent there , Rooferpete.

kadman ;)

We found a crowd that do scaffolding in Galway that can rent 20" (and above) casts for creating pillars for 70yoyos per week. Basically they are a 10' cylinder that is cut in half which you bolt back together and pour the concerte in - perfect for the job.

Advertisement