Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Citroën C6

Options
  • 29-09-2005 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,327 ✭✭✭

What are people's opinions on the new C6 which will go on sale early next year. I think it looks fantastic and would seriously consider it if I could afford it. But it'll probably be a flop. It'll be the same old story, very few buyers will want to spend this kind of money on a new Citroën when they could have a new Beemer or Merc.

From what I can make out the C6 is aiming higher than other non German exec cars like the Vel Satis, Saab 9-5 Volvo S80, Alfa 166 etc. Engines in the C6 will be 2.7 TDi and 3.0 petrol and pricing will probably be around 60-65k here which would put it up against the BMW 525i and 530d.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,392 ✭✭✭fletch

BrianD3 wrote:
    pricing will probably be around 60-65k here which would put it up against the BMW 525i and 530d.
    Give me the beemer anyday!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,189 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Like most large French cars, it will not sell in large numbers outside of France. Depreciation will be huge and unfortunately badge and image are everything in this market segment. Cannot see the people in Bavaria or Munich loosing much sleep here.

Knowing Citroen when they cannot shift enough of them they will start heavily discounting them also which will kill residule value even more. Will probably end up like the 605, 607, Safrane, Vel Satis and XM before it.

VW have the same problem with the Phaeton and Honda are giving their Legend another go.

In reality the C6 will probably be an expensive alternative to the likes of the Camry, Legend and Maxima.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

If their recent reported improvements in quality are up to scratch it would make for an interesting (second hand) buy. The problem is the fleet car buyers won't touch Citroën or Alfa or the likes so there'll be no one but an insane few to buy them new.

I'd have the diesel in a flash. The shape has really grown on me, the ride is allegedly second to none and there is ample power (rare in a big Citroën). I look forward to seeing one in the flesh next weekend.

You never know though. I am beginning to notice a slight back-lash against the me-too-ness of BMWs & the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭alias no.9

It will be a great second hand buy when 3 years old ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

As many of you know, you'd be insane to buy one of these cars new. Unfortunately, that bears no relation to how good the car actually is.

Personally, I like the car. I think it's quirky and certainly has an individual taste about it. The problem is that for the people who want to be somewhat individual and do not want to follow the herds in to vastly under-specced, over-priced german brands, they'll find it hard to be buying a car from a manufacturer known for producing discount cars. Unless this car is exceptionally good, it will have low sales in this country at least.

I've recently bought a Peugeot 607 2.2 Hdi SE. It's an '02 in fantastic condition with average enough miles on her. It's a 50 grand car new so someone else has taken the hit before me. But what I now have is a car that's much better specced than any of the equivalent german marks for the money. If you had 50 grand to spend, would you buy a 607 or would you buy a low specced BMW or Merc? I think the majority of people would put up with a miserly specced german car before anything else.

I've got full leather seats. Heated front and back. Electric front seats with 2 setting memory (which the key fob also remembers). Dual climate control. A/C glovebox. Cruise control. Laminated windows all round and so much more. It has everything I need really. Engine is great too. Very quiet. Great economy.

So if this is anything to go on in terms of spec, pick yourself up a C6 in a couple of years time. You'll have a fabulous car. I know I'll be looking out for one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,441 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'm personally surprised that cars like this, and others of a similar size sell so well in Ireland, given the sheer practicalities of heaving something so huge around the apologies for roads here. Even in something the size of a Focus I find myself breathing in to try and make my car less wide on some of the R roads around Wicklow, but then I see folks driving around the same roads in S-classes and 7-series ... maybe I'm missing something somewhere. OK, I can see the attraction of cars of that size and class if you lived in Germany, say, but not here.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,159 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

BrianD3 wrote:
    What are people's opinions on the new C6 which will go on sale early next year. I think it looks fantastic and would seriously consider it if I could afford it

Great looks but the obious drawbacks as everyone posted
    AlanD wrote:
    I've recently bought a Peugeot 607 2.2 Hdi SE. It's an '02 in fantastic condition with average enough miles on her. It's a 50 grand car new so someone else has taken the hit before me

How much did you get it for and please specify if it was from a dealer with warranty or a private sale?

LOL I remember its grandfather, the 604. It depreciated 90% in 4 years :)

These French luxobarges could possibly be great second hand buys :D
    Alun wrote:
    Even in something the size of a Focus I find myself breathing in to try and make my car less wide on some of the R roads around Wicklow, but then I see folks driving around the same roads in S-classes and 7-series ... maybe I'm missing something somewhere

No, you're not missing anything. It does get tight. And then there's parking :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Paul (MN)

I used to have regular access to a 605. I thought it was well styled and it had an excellent ride. But the interior was not up to scratch, especially the dash. The rear bench was huge and very comfy. I think it was a 2.0 Petrol so it was slightly sluggish. Yes the old Safrane can be obtained cheap too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭AlanD

unkel wrote:
    How much did you get it for and please specify if it was from a dealer with warranty or a private sale?
    I picked her up for 23500 including a full Peugeot warranty for 12 months which I'll be able to extend next year. Bought it from a dealer too. There's more to be had out there for cheaper too. Spec levels are great.

She's not so nimble around the bends but it handles nicely. It's a perfect cruiser and has everything I need for driving. I'm getting 48 mpg too out of it which is great

Advertisement