Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biting

Options
  • 29-09-2005 3:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

I have a 14 week old Jack Russell. We're doing fairly well on the toilet training issue, he doesn't dig the garden up and he doesn't chew much except his toys. But he constantly bites our hands. He rolls over for me to tickle his belly and when I do, he immediately tries to bite my hands.

So we've tried to pet him very gently and slowly to calm him down but he still tries to bite us. If I hold my hands away from him, he'll just sit at my feet, looking up at me, & he's begin to moan, and will eventually bark if he doesn't get his way with my hands!!!

I'm not sure how to knock this habit out of him, if it is a habit. I'm worried it might just be his nature? We've had jack russells before, but never from the puppy stage. Is he just going through a phase? What can we do to discourage it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

That's normal mouthplay, almost every puppy does it. After all, the only thing they really got to play / interact with is their mouth.

Don't worry ...just because of that he's not going to develop into a fierce biting machine.

To stop him biting, just tell him "NO" (or whetever you say when you don't want him to do something), withdraw your hand and also withdraw all attention. (just leave him there, look somewhere else, don't touch or talk to him)
    So once he starts biting, play stops immediatedly and he gets ignored.

He'll catch on pretty quickly ....but be warned ..the ignoring bit is hard to do :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

Lying on their back and exposing their belly is also a submissive gesture for dogs, it's basically their way of saying "You're the boss". He could be doing this and then is taken by surprise when you tickle his belly and doesn't like it.

Or maybe he is just mouthing your hand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

You might think I'm mad but this works - I've had tons of puppies through this house and have the scars to prove it :p

When he bites / mouths you - YELP ! Just YELP and walk away
    Don't engage him in any further play or any further attention.

This is like recreating the sound another pup would make - it will stop him in his tracks and he won't do it more than another once or twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

The biting has never bothered me with the dogs we have had over the years. It is mostly playful. If they bite too hard just be stern and leave them alone for a minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭NoDayBut2Day

My dog was a puppy when we got her too and she did the same thing.. nibbling and biting. The firm "no" worked well. My dog is funny ... she tries to bite and act tough, but she's a cream puff underneath... hehe... :D

~NoDayBut2Day <><
    xoxo
    :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭DArcy

Thanks for all the advice folks!!! I've taken all your recommendations onboard and I can see a noticeable improvement in the wee fella today. It's so hard to ignore those little brown eyes :)

Advertisement