Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rufus Wainwrights voice

Options
  • 29-09-2005 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

Can some classically trained singer settle a bet for me - myself and my friend are arguing whether Rufus Wainwrights voice fakes the vibrato or not?
    Any toughts anyone?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Dunno about that. But on want two the live DVD do you find that he breathes throught his teeth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭dearheart

smok wrote:
    Can some classically trained singer settle a bet for me - myself and my friend are arguing whether Rufus Wainwrights voice fakes the vibrato or not?
    Any toughts anyone?

But it's not a case of 'faking' vibrato.... All vibrato is naturally fake, you have to learn it from example/being taught. For example, you don't usually hear young kids singing with vibrato [unless they've been trained].

Besides, why would it matter either way? His voice seems to suit his songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

But it's not a case of 'faking' vibrato.... All vibrato is naturally fake

I think you might be missing the point, or at least over-elaborating on it, if that makes sense. I reckon smok is speaking about whether his soft pallat is naturally resonating, or if he's actually moving his throat very quickly to get the vibrato.

As for it not mattering, I'd agree that it suits his songs, but some people are just as interested in the technical aspects of music as others are the emotional!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭dearheart

deathfunk wrote:
    I think you might be missing the point, or at least over-elaborating on it, if that makes sense. I reckon smok is speaking about whether his soft pallat is naturally resonating, or if he's actually moving his throat very quickly to get the vibrato.

As for it not mattering, I'd agree that it suits his songs, but some people are just as interested in the technical aspects of music as others are the emotional!

Okay, he might well be interested but my point is that it makes no difference either way unless he's planning on recreating the sound himself. Rufus Wainwright's vibrato, in that case, sounds natural. Using his throat would just sound like a sheep noise. And only Tom Waits can get away with that one...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Karlusss

I think it's just how he taught himself to sing like that. I mean, this was kid who was obsessed with opera as a teenager. When he hits the long notes, he vibratoes. It's probably forced though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Okay, he might well be interested but my point is that it makes no difference either way unless he's planning on recreating the sound himself. Rufus Wainwright's vibrato, in that case, sounds natural. Using his throat would just sound like a sheep noise. And only Tom Waits can get away with that one...

Ah, I see! Good point.

Now I've also got an aural image of Tom Waits singing "I Don't Know What It Is" in his gruffest, "Misery's The River Of The World" voice :)

Advertisement