Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone makers seek to further lock down handsets - While taking away more freedoms

Options
  • 29-09-2005 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2142876/phone-makers-seek-further-lock
    The initiative to make handsets more secure has broad support from phone manufacturers, carriers and semiconductor makers.

But the plans have been sharply criticised by consumer advocacy group the Electronic Frontier Foundation as an effort to further limit consumers in what they can do with their mobile phones.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭maidhc

I suspect mobile phone manufacturers and service providers have learned from the evolution of the PC that an open and largely user controlled environment isnt good for their business model.

Vodafone are a good example with their "Vodafone Live" stuff branded all over their fones and into the firmware. They also, if I recally correctly make it very very difficult to access the "unregulated" web. O2 aren't much that better indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 woodentopz

...and 3 are worst of all. No wap access other than to a couple of items that they approve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

maidhc wrote:
    Vodafone are a good example with their "Vodafone Live" stuff branded all over their fones and into the firmware. They also, if I recally correctly make it very very difficult to access the "unregulated" web. O2 aren't much that better indeed.
    Well this is nothing new with Vodafone, the company has become the microsoft of the mobile phone world. I would not touch one of their phones with a 50ft pole, nor would I use there expensive service or poor quality network.
    O2 are not much better, while their network is a lot better in places, and certainly where I live, O2 are just as expensive and there O2 Active service is far more expensive then any of the other networks as O2 charges for ALL GPRS data transfers including the data transfer required to access the active menu. You also get charged for games as well as the data transfer required to download them to your phone. I am not sure about Meteor as I have never used there handsets nor have I ever tried to use the internet from there phones.

Three is another case entirly. They do not allow access to the open internet as of yet, but they are due to allow business users to use there phone as a modem. They also have not launched a PAYG service either but they will hope to have a service launched before Christmas.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I got to say Vodafone overbrand their phones like crazy and I'd almost have to agree that they are the Microsoft/Eircom of the mobile world.

o2 are not much better but they don't do overbranding as bad as vodafone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭The Troll

Cabaal wrote:
    I got to say Vodafone overbrand their phones like crazy and I'd almost have to agree that they are the Microsoft/Eircom of the mobile world.

o2 are not much better but they don't do overbranding as bad as vodafone

Dont have a problem with Vodafone. Meteor is the way to go though. OK coverage, but pays dividends when your friends /fmaily/girlfriend are on meteor as well. Serious money to be saved compared to other operators!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The Troll wrote:
    Dont have a problem with Vodafone. Meteor is the way to go though. OK coverage, but pays dividends when your friends /fmaily/girlfriend are on meteor as well. Serious money to be saved compared to other operators!

The problem being that Meteor is now Eircom and I'd rather not use the devils services :)
    I think the same applys to the majority of people on boards

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Back on topic please.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Meteor is a load of crap. Its the modern 088. Poor coverage and nearly impossible to get in contact with.

We're stuck between a rock (vodafone) a hard place (O2) and the non-contenders (3 & Meteor)

Advertisement