Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Speed limits at road works?

Options
  • 29-09-2005 9:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

Think this is the right place....

What is the story with speed limits at road works? Do they legally apply? Most roadworks display crazy speed limits which would be more dangerous if some, not all cars travelled at that speed.

For example, after the road between Roscrea and Moneygall got repaired, for about a month afterwards, there was still signs up for 20mph, even though it was a clear new main road, with not even a cone in sight.

Also what is with signs like the one up outside UCD on the stillorgan dual carriageway where the flyovers are being repaired? 60kph GARDA ENFORCED. Does that mean the other speed limits on other road works are never garda enforced or legally binding.

Are the speedlimits on roadworks legally binding or just an approximate indication of what speed you should be travelling? Has anyone ever got a speed limit on these roads?

Sorry if this thread has been mentioned before....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Speakign from a personal point of view I hardly ever regard these.....like the port tunnel it is something stupidly low but ever time(not rush hour) I am around there I just fly on thru along with everyone else.....

Another example is road works on the N3 at the moment....think they have it at 50 or something.....I was doign about 100 the other day going thru it and a Garda car passed me and not a bother....everyone else was doing the same and I didnt see the Garda too worried about it

I think the speeds are put there for insurance reasons for the bulding company but they are never adhered too.....also the problem with this is that too many companies(looking at Ascon here) leave the signs on the road years after work is done so people just dont bother slowing down anymore.....there is a sign on the Trim-kells road that says 20Mph :eek: Road Works for the last 4 years!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

Speed limits are only enforceable if they appear on the local authority’s schedule of speed limits.

That said if you are pulled at an inappropriate speed on one of these “unlimited” roads the Garda will just do you for driving without due care or any thing else that comes to his mind.

Also its entirely reasonable that the contractor doing the road works will have petitioned the council to change the limit for that segment officially on the schedule, especially for works being done for the NRA or local authority.

I think…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

In the vast, vast majority of case the limits will have no legal standing and are there in order to go someway towards protect the contractor from claims which may arise from accidents at the location due to the works.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The port tunnel works used to have a Gatso which was alternated between North & Southbound lanes frequently. It was there for a good few months when the works initiated (can anyone remember way back then?).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

kbannon wrote:
    The port tunnel works used to have a Gatso which was alternated between North & Southbound lanes frequently. It was there for a good few months when the works initiated (can anyone remember way back then?).

Are you sure you don't mean the Drynam Hall Interchange on the M1 at Swords.

Ever since the port tunnel workds started the soutbound and northbound lanes have been down to one lane so there was no Gasto van there.

The Gasto wan was at the new interchange currently under development.

• Advertisement

I meant what I said. I never mentioned a talivan - I was referring to a fixed gatso, the white marks for it were still on the tarmac recently as you headed southbound and were almost near Whitehall Church. This camera was frequently moved so as to catch the single file lane notrh for a while and then south, etc.
    Anyway, the port tunnel works shouldn't be near swords unless someone gave the bore operator the wrong map!

kbannon wrote:

When it first started I used to drop my bro over to Drumcondra there to college and pick him up for the first 6-7 months after it started and I never seen that camera......also I would go over in evening or something when not busy so would be flying along and I never got done.....dont think this existed....there was a sign saying the had a camera but I never seen one and never heard anyone else say there was one installed.....have been over that a few times over the last years and never seen a camera!!

I can guarrantee you that it was there - whether it worked is another issue!

kbannon wrote:

Maybe it was a dummy one because if it worked I would have a few fines in my history!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭dancin

Father in law, who does engineering work for OPW sometimes, says that the contractors speed limit signs have no legal standing. They are just there to try to protect the workers at the site. People generally obey them.

Having said that, the road works at the new drynam interchange works in the M1 are enforceable, because...

The limit coming up to them is 80Kph. The contractor signs are up. But, clever them, they have got the council to change the limit signs from 120 to 80 Kph, just under the airport interchange (where it used to go from 80 Kph to 120 Kph).

Strictly speaking then, the end of speed limit signs (120 Kph) the contractors have set up just after the Drynam interchange works are not legally encorceable, and so the M1 is running at 80 Kph all the way...

• Advertisement

possibly but there were marks on the road and it looked as real as all the other fixed cameras around!
    Funny enough, I can't see any reference to it on google or on the old www.speedtraps.ie.nu site

kbannon wrote:
    possibly but there were marks on the road and it looked as real as all the other fixed cameras around!
    Funny enough, I can't see any reference to it on google or on the old www.speedtraps.ie.nu site

Just to clarify was it a Gasto van as you said earlier that you think was at the port tunnel works or a fixed camera?

dancin wrote:
    Strictly speaking then, the end of speed limit signs (120 Kph) the contractors have set up just after the Drynam interchange works are not legally encorceable, and so the M1 is running at 80 Kph all the way...

All the way to Lissenhall northbound entry then I suppose it is?

a fixed camera!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Peter B

kbannon, I know the markings you are talking about. Don't know if I ever saw a camera though. I always think when I pass there, what a wierd place to put a camera. Especially since 20mtrs further down the road there is a sharpish chicane down to the left (if I remember correctly). I have not used that road too often though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

Peter B, I would tend to obey the temporary limits for your own protection.

I looked up DLRCC's website for notices about this 50 k.p.h. limit as I barely noticed the signs a few weeks ago.

Look at this link if it is still there http://www.dlrcoco.ie/Roads/N11_speedlimit_ad.htm. You see that they claim authority under S. 10 RTA 2004 to impose altered speed limits for road works. If this is right we could be done legitimately for speeding at a whole 60 k.p.h. !! I don't know if they extended the effective operative date past 16 September 2005.

@ %%% !!!!!

I came from the opposite direction yesterday via Donnybrook church. I think that section up to to RTE is under the control of Dublin City Council. The official sign of 60 k.p.h. was plainly in view on it's regular pole. Three feet under it was the temporary 50 k.p.h. sign. What's a driver to do ? Do 50 and avoid giving them the satisfaction of doing you for revenue and a few points ........

That said I have not noticed any Garda speed traps at their favourite hiding place behind the bus stop under that pedestrian bridge beyond UCD going towards Stillorgan......

That situation on the Stillorgan Road at UCD is loopy. Passed by there an hour ago and some of the temporary traffic lights they put up for pedestrians seem to have been decommissioned as the bridge work looks lke it is nearing completion. Shouldn't have said that as they will probably be there until Christmas !

I think that a lot of contractors make a big production out of these works to protect themselves legally. I see their point but it can still be a bit O.T.T.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,333 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There an awfully strong smell of BS on this thread.
    saobh_ie wrote:
    Speed limits are only enforceable if they appear on the local authority’s schedule of speed limits.
    County managers can make orders at roadworks.

Cops can also do you for dangerous driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

Didn't I mention that in the post you quoted.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,134 ✭✭✭✭unkel

kbannon wrote:

Yep I remember the fixed gatso there. It was probably a few years ago, maybe '02 or '03

Advertisement