Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oil Tank

Options
  • 28-09-2005 10:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭

My oil tank is quite rusty and as it's nearly empty I reckon it's a good time to change it over. Has anyone any advice on where I should get one or do I just head to a plumber suppliers? Is it easy enough to change over myself?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

if u are interested, we are changing to gas and as such have a lovely green plastic tank with an ever dwindling amount of oil in it. we were hoping to change over towards the 21/10 when the oil was calculated to run out. our meter has already been installed. i think they are 500 euro to buy new so il take any decent offers on it and pass them to my father, pm me for photographs if u are interested, i think its quite easy to put in yourself, the nut just literally screws on but dont quote me on that ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 201 ✭✭Rodney Trotter

I went through the same once, replacing a "rusted " tank. Turned out the rust was only surface rust and I really wasted a lot of money needlessly replacing the tank.

Get your drill out with a wire brush, get rid of the rust and slap on a tin of Hammerite.

i should have said its 1300-1400 litres in capacity yet looks compact as its a stand up type.
    hamerite and a drill is crazy, the sparks generated with the explosive vapour present could cause mayhem. anyway its a temporary solution at best, a patch up is fine if u expect to convert to gas in the next few years, but if its a permanent job u want u wont beat plastic.

Get your facts right, please.

The rust is obviously on the outside, the diesel/kerosene on the inside.

You could quench a match in a tank of diesel. It's flammable, with some effort, it's most definitely not combustible and certainly not explosive. (It's illegal to store combustible fuele over-ground)

And finally, when was the last time you saw sparks from a wire brush and rust?

So you're selling a second hand tank? So what!

Why convert to Gas? It's a grossly inefficient fuel and rapidly rising in price. Definitely not a good investment. Keep your oil tank and at least you still have that option.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I understand that there is often rust inside the tank as well (as a result of water vapour condensing inside the sun-heated tank during the summer). I have never taken an angle grinder to an oil tank, so I can't be sure if this is true. However, there is certainly a lot of dirty sludge at the bottom of tanks sometimes and it looks a lot like rust to me.

a.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

You could quench a match in a tank of diesel. It's flammable, with some effort, it's most definitely not combustible and certainly not explosive. (It's illegal to store combustible fuele over-ground)

Why convert to Gas? It's a grossly inefficient fuel and rapidly rising in price. Definitely not a good investment. Keep your oil tank and at least you still have that option.

Get your facts right !
    You could blow your head off if you put a match near a tank of diesel :eek:
    You could quench a match if you dip it in a pool of diesel.
    On a warm day, vapour builds up above the oil in a tank - get the mixture right and BANG :eek:
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

By way of an answer to the OP, try your oil supplier too. Shop around. The Kingspan Titan tanks are recommended (bought 2x large ones for factory lately). Remember if you buy a good tank new, you get a 10 year warranty against failure. Could be worth the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

hehe, another cantidate for a Darwin award approaches the podium.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

I've installed my own oil tank and it's not a big job, the most important thing is to ensure that it's properly and evenly supported at the base. If installed without even support stress can build up in the plactic which causes cracks and a big leak....As for the plumbing its quiet simple for a DIY person...with your existing tank I suggest a wire brush and a bit of elbow grease. Put on a good quality Hamerite etc and you should get years out of it.

believe it or not flour is highly highly explosive IF its in powder form and dispersed as a haze in the air. kerosene is very explosive if its in vapour form. the thing is it doesnt readily vapourise, but it can certainly be smelt near a tank, thus it is evaporating.
    and for your info a wire brush chucked in a drill will cause sparks, trust me.
    anyway off to the buy and sell with the oil tank, no interest here :)

• Advertisement

Yawn!

Advertisement