Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas for dissertation

Options
  • 28-09-2005 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭

I am trying to come up with some ideas for a good dissertation topic [I am doing a BSc in Software Engineering] I want something that is new and interesting. Has anyone got any ideas on topics or anything technology related that they have seen recently that they taught was interesting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Not exactly an idea for a project, but a tip I found worked for me.

Are you by any chance working? If so, look around for ideas. When I was doing mine for my MSc. I did just that. I ended up with a project that got me a first class honours.

Try and solve a real-world problem, using technology in an innovative way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

I am working, but in a non IT field and the software we use at work don’t need much improving. I don’t really want to solve a problem, as I don’t think I would have enough time to research it. But I am looking for some that would be interesting and that I could talk about in an interview [or something that might help me get an interview]

irishguy wrote:
    I am working, but in a non IT field and the software we use at work don’t need much improving.

Ok, how about automating a business process (i.e. come up with a new way of doing something)? For example, when I was doing my degree, way back when WAP was promising so much, I proposed a WAP based ticket purchasing system. A new way of selling tickets, using new technology (ah, how innocent we all were back then :) ). I analysed it more from a business perspective than a technology perspective and it went down a treat.
    irishguy wrote:
    I don’t really want to solve a problem, as I don’t think I would have enough time to research it.

You would be surprised what you can come up with in 6-8 months.

Thanks for your help tom. But I am not expected to come up with a new idea [because i have loads of other things to do aswell] just write about a certain area from a technology and business application point of view.

So far my idea is "Intellectual rights in a digital age".
    publishing,music,video,new technology etc and how new comunication mediums have effected the holders of those rights. it seems like the best idea so far anyway

Ok, now I'm with you.

For my dissertation, I had to do a software project as part of it, that's why I presumed you had to do the same.

I'll stop now. :o

• Advertisement

I am doing a 1 year add on for a degree so it’s just the paper I have to write. I think its 4 year degree courses that have to write the code as well, i think

Advertisement