Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spec me please

Options
  • 28-09-2005 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭

My current pc is starting to show signs of age (could probably be mostly fixed with a windows reinstall but i slack) it could do with playing wow and BF2 better and i'm thinking its about time to get a new system.

Due to wow i've kinda fallen off the hardware scene for the most part and haven't really kept up to date with whats coming out etc. So i'd welcome some suggestions with regards to a new machine. Budget is slightly flexible but i'm looking to way in at around 1800 including a monitor (which i'd like to be a good 19inch flat panel for gaming)

Also nothing probably bar the mouse, keyboard, sound card and speakers is coming off this system as i'm keeping it for my brother. i'm also quite content to wait a month or so if thats when ati's new xseries is out to drive down current prices or whatever and i may overclock it.

Here's roughly what i was thinking of anyway please point out any gross errors
    DFI Lanparty 215euro

3500+ 230euro

x800xl 295euro

Maxtor hdd 16mb NCQ 113 euro

Nec DVD drive 45 euro

i'm open to suggestions on all the above and on ram (tccd based the way forward or something these days on 512mb sticks?) looking to come in at 1.5Gb to 2Gb, power supplies (i'd like one of those modular ones) which heatsink fan combination and also on monitors.

I appreciate your help. I also reserve the right to ignore all advice and just grab this nice little machine to save me hassle picking parts :)

Thanks

Data

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

could get a 7800GT for 40/50 euros more in the GFX department, and would also leave SLi open for you in the future.

I'd go with antec power supplies.

Check out the SmartPower 2 500W, i reviewed one recently and its grand. Happily purring away in my system now. Its modular, and with an hour and some cable sleeve looks great. Very quiet.

Case-wise...Eclipse or P180...or Lian Li if you can afford it.

HD, DVD, CPU and board you chose are grand. Although, watch out on ebay for some cheap 3800+ X2...don't think they are too expensive in shops...probably worth extra few quid for a bit of future-proofing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Motherboard is a bit pricey... You can get a non SLI board for under 100 euro, from a quick glance at komplett. I know it wont be as good as a DFI for overclocking, but 215 euro is a friggin rip off. My epox board was under 100 euro 8 months ago and that will do something like 320mhz FSB, i don't get why youd splurge for the DFI.

If I was buying a new PC at the moment it'd have an X2 3800+ in it, just for the multi-tasking slickness. Not sure if that would be a consideration for u.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

215 isn't a rip-off for that board.

OCZ DDR 3200 Platinum EL 2x 1Gig Dual channel kits == 2gigs of TCCD ram in 4 sticks. About 500euro off shop4memory.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Im not saying that komplett are selling the DFI for a bad price, im just saying that 215 euro for ANY motherboard seems like a total rip off to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Terran

Go with and SLI board and a 7800GT/GTX, it doesn't necessarily have to be the DFI board, unless you're planning to really use every feature it has, a cheaper board could do you just the same.

• Advertisement
Advertisement