Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

new discworld novel - THUD!

• 28-09-2005 3:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭

ok, so the postie delivered a package this morning with the new terry pratchett in it.

looking forward to starting, er, after the missus reads it of course!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

w00t!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭Caoimhe89

I just finished it... it's good... Vimesy as a father is cute. There are some parts which are.... but the gooseberry (Dis-orginizer Mark 5) with it's iHUM(tm) capabilities was certainly my biggest laugh... ok, yeah... i find dorky stuff like that funny...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

So vimes still not stale yet?

excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Lady Sybil

Wow! Thud was great, whodunnit, intrigue, and a of soupson da Vinci code. I loved it, lots of character development and it's nice to see how Ruby and Detritus are getting on even though it's only one line.

Who is Mavis Trouncer though?
    And will Carrot and Angua ever get it together properly?

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Tune in to the next exciting installment of Discworld to find out ;)

I have not bought this yet, but do plan to once I finish the queue of other books that are piled up by me bed. Glad to see that he has developed Vimes a bit more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭Kenny_D

Anyone know how much the h/b version is in Easons? Might pick up a copy for the signing next week.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Hrm. Saw this in Waterstone's recently, and have to admit I'm tempted, but...

....how many more times are we going to read about Vimes before he finally snuffs it? I mean, he's 70-odd and still out there fighting crime. How much more can he do? How many more times can he save Ankh-Morpork from war/chaos/walking trousers/dragons/whatever?

I also find it...interesting that after a couple of novels in which new (but not particularly good) characters were introduced, Terry's back to the reliable favourite Vimesy as a central character. I suppose it's just a mercy it's not Rinceweind being written about...I dunno, I just don't think there's much more of any interest that can be said through or about Vimes.

I'll have to take a look at this, but I no longer look forward to new Discworld books enough to bother with the hardback editions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

finally read it and loved it...not the best watch book (night watch is amazing) but well crafted overall, sort of through the motions book in the same manner as the early watch books. Still well written and entertaining.

few comments though.

nitpick. Rereading some watch books and in feet of clay the battle bread of bloodaxe (which was used in the battle of koom valley) is in the mueseum. but
    in THUD it is still on the corpse
    tsk tsk Mr Pratchett.

To answer Fysh's question i think it is *soon* Vimes felt toned down in the book (though this could be to add to the excellent ending) and i was convinced at one point he was gonna be killled off because there were so many references to the past watch books (references to Gaurds Gaurds, Jingo, Feet of Clay, Fifth Elephant, Night Watch) and i dont think this is done much in the previous watch books. I felt they were summing up his experiances. Another element is the changes in other characters like Detritus and Carrot, who are clearly being built on to allow them to take bigger chunks of the story. Vimes wont be removed entirely, but i think he will take a role similar to that in Monstrous regiment for the next watch book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

i was in easons for his book signing the other day. waited two hours but it was worth it. here's the man himself

terry
    and of course the famous hat
    terry's hat

needless to say, w00t

you may have huessed from my name, i'm a fan :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

hi sybil, you shouldn't be on boards. go and look after our baby :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭bozzie

BlitzKrieg wrote:
    nitpick. Rereading some watch books and in feet of clay the battle bread of bloodaxe (which was used in the battle of koom valley) is in the mueseum. but
    in THUD it is still on the corpse
    tsk tsk Mr Pratchett.

in fifth elephant the scone is a fake (they make reference to the scone probably decaying since the days of brian but they never say for sure that they even had a scone in the first place)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭KamikazeBananze

I liked this one a lot.

The constant references to da Vinci Code are brilliant. As are the references to the type of people who get involved in it so deeply.

And Fysh: Vimes is NOT "70-odd." He's just over 50. Re-read Vimes' interview with a vampire.

That was an accident. But do you think it belongs in the Pratchett Annotations thing on L-Space? I've found a few.

(a bit obsessive of me, I'll admit. But they were accidental discoveries...)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

well, Vimes was in his late 40s in Guards! Guards! and it's generally suggested that a few years pass in between each book. Now, given that the characters have also been mentioned in non-Watch books which also imply a reasonable passage of time between the last and the next, I dont think that Vimes having aged 20-25 years between the 8th Discworld book and the...what, 30-oddth? book is that much of an assumption. Plus, you've only got to read the way the character's presented in Night Watch. He's an old git :D. That said, a flatmate's bought it so I'll be reading it shortly anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭bozzie

in night watch vimes went back in time 30 years to basically his first week in the watch

he was 21 back then so logically he is 51 at the start of that book give or take 2/3 years between that and thud he is probably in his mid fifties not his 60's or 70's
    :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

read it yesterday, I liked it.. didn't laugh as much as I used to with a discworld book but it was enjoyable. also bought "where's my cow".. just saw another new pratchett book and ordered it... ye gods.

Advertisement