Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where's the travelling luxury Cinema ?..

Options
  • 28-09-2005 3:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭

I recently read somewhere, that there is a really luxurious travelling Cinema operating throughout the North West.

We had a proper cinema in Ballybofey/Stranorlar operated and apparently owned by the super secretive 'Butt Hall Committee' :confused: but it was closed down many years ago.

So, can I request that this mobile cinema visits my home area of the Twin-Towns ASAP. It is apparently a sell out everywhere it stops off for a few days, and I am not surprised.

P. :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

paddy if it what i think it is, then the cinema in qustion is a foldable unit.
    Did you ever see the guiness GIG RIG, it works on a simillar basis to that. Instead of folding into a state it folds to a room.

There has been one in leitrim for the last couple of years now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

Yep, that sounds like the type of operation, although I read that the NEW type are far more luxurious, hold about 100 at a time and do not have to be assembled like the older versions ?...strange to think that when the cinema first appeared it was shown everywhere as a travelling entertainment, now here in rural/remote areas of Ireland we are back to the same concept.

Nothing new under the sun Eh! ;) , but who and from where is it operating ?.. :confused:

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

• Registered Users Posts: 45,873 ✭✭✭✭muffler

"Baltinglass,
    Fri, 30 September-Fri, 30 September"

You better get an early start tomorrow morning Paddy if you want to catch the show :D

Thanks byte,

I notice it is supported by 4 County Councils, but none from the North West :( So come on Donegal County Council !, for a start.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

That Cinemobile was in Donegal Town about a year ago, though I never saw it about since.

Your best bet is to head to Century Cinema in Letterkenny. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭roykeane16

p20 it comes to all the towns in leitrim nearly evrey week good luck in gettin dcc in getting 1 for donegal

roykeane16 wrote:
    p20 it comes to all the towns in leitrim nearly evrey week good luck in gettin dcc in getting 1 for donegal

Yeah,Good Luck is what we need, when trying to get the numbskull civil servants working for Donegal County Council to use a little initiative or foresight.

Donegal could really do with a Cinemobile but our citizens are extremely apathetic about talking to our Local Authority about anything :( .

It would be nice to see a campaign for a Donegal C.C. sponsored Cinemobile, I feel sure it could be Self-supporting as Donegal is Cinema crazy, with an enormous geographical catchment area, without cinemas.

I nominate muffler to start the lobbying :D .

Paddy20 wrote:

I nominate muffler to start the lobbying :D .

Aye, and the next time there's a runaway bus coming down the street I'll probably be nominated again to go out and stand in front of it :D

Paddy20 wrote:
    civil servants working for Donegal County Council

Sure about that Paddy?

• Advertisement

QUOTE=muffler]Sure about that Paddy?[/QUOTE]

What Do you mean, I do not understand the question ?... :eek:

Paddy20 wrote:
    QUOTE=muffler]Sure about that Paddy?

What Do you mean, I do not understand the question ?... :eek:

P. :cool:[/QUOTE]

I think civil servants work for Government Departments and not Local Authorities.

In any event when was the last time you seen them (Council staff) working ;)

lads the topic is mobile cinema, not the workload of civil servants

keep to the topic

nanook wrote:
    lads the topic is mobile cinema, not the workload of civil servants

keep to the topic

To lobby for this mobile picture show we have to know whether we should contact civil servants or eejits :D

Who cares, as long as 'Your' campaign works :D , Start a petition to hand in to the D.C.C. 'County Secretary' ASAP, as it'll soon be Xmas ! :eek:

Sorry Paddy, I cant start a petition as I am allergic to cinemas.. mobile or otherwise. I get very agitated and break out in a cold sweat as a result of not being able to drag on the old weed in an enclosed space.

Anyways you are living right beside a place where you would pick up loads of signatures from the workers in Mulrines

Ok then,Anyone in Donegal prepared too step forward and campaign for a CineMobile ?... :)

Go on, you know we need it ?...

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

You can read about the mobile cinema in Leitrim here:
    http://www.leitrimcoco.ie/Services/com&ent/cinema.htm

I remember reading an article about this last year (can't remember where). The project was championed by a member of the council who had a love of cinema. The project is funded by the co. co. and if I remember right was running at a loss.

To get it in Donegal you will need a councillors on your side, contact you local ones first. Contact Leitrim co. co. and ask to speak to whoever is responsible for it there. Get facts on how beneficial it is to the county. You would then need to demonstrate that there is enough of a need for it, so get your petition together. Then get campaigning.

If you don't have the energy to do this then don't expect your councillors to do it, they may not even visit the cinema. If they feel their constituents want it then they will work for you. I don't think there is another cinema in Leitrim so this most likely helped with getting it there.

Failing all of the above, set up a local film society, get a projector and screen and find a place to show movies you want to see (someones house, local community hall) . I know it's not the big screen but the popcorm will be cheaper. you may even get funding if you can proive the social benefit. try your local leader board http://www.dldc.org/grants.htm

GG66,

Thanks for taking the time to post such informative and constructive suggestions. Very interesting, educational and encouraging :) .

Now, I am still waiting to see if someone from Donegal will step forward to champion this individual worthwhile project/idea.

I am currently fronting a number of different voluntary organisations, so it would be nice if someone else would/could volunteer, if thats not asking too much ?... :confused:

'Your County Needs You' :D

cant say i blame ya paddy they promise but they never deliver :confused:

• Advertisement

Paddy20 wrote:
    I am currently fronting a number of different voluntary organisations, so it would be nice if someone else would/could volunteer, if thats not asking to much

Paddy, looks like you are fronting another one.

No takers on the collapsable tent they call the floating omniplex :)

nanook wrote:
    Paddy, looks like you are fronting another one.

No takers on the collapsable tent they call the floating omniplex :)

This project would need the full support of Donegal County Council , and as I am 'not exactly' their favourite person, at the moment :D .

Someone else, who appreciates the need. Is required.

paddy this is a serious question, but have you ever ran for the county council.
    You know cleaning it from the inside out

nanook wrote:
    paddy this is a serious question, but have you ever ran for the county council.
    You know cleaning it from the inside out

That was suggested to me many times in the past, but I have always stated that I could never share a Council Chamber with local politicians, in case I might catch something nasty.

cant say i blame ya paddy m8 they are shysters the hole lot off them problay off now on some junket that u paid4 :mad:

Advertisement