Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a jazz piano trio/quartet

Options
  • 27-09-2005 11:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭

Hey,

I'm a big fan of the Three Sounds and also of Young-Holt.

Can anyone recommend a similar funky piano-driven jazz group? Preferably a trio with bass & drums, although a bit of sax goes well too (Stanley Turrentine does some good sets with the Three Sounds). And preferably instrumental as well, unless the vocals are as smokin' as Young-Holt's.

Here's hoping.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭JacoStanley

Check out the live Michel Pettruciani(?????) album with Anthony Jackson on it and a drummer who's name escapes me right now. Very cool version of So What on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Fusion251

Keith Jarret Trio...Kenny Barron Trio...Brad Mehldau Trio...Oscar Peterson Trio....and of course Herbie Hancock Trio - with Ron Carter and Tony Williams.....

Fusion
    :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭PunyHuman

Thank you both for the suggestions. I'll check them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭fish-head

Check out the Bad Plus. They're rather good.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Cousin it

bad plus are ridiculously good. Playin here soon will have to check when, its in the sugar club anyway. amazing. check out their cover of black sabbath's iron man or apheex twin's flim, truly amazing

• Advertisement

I have heard some tunes by The Bad Plus, and I'm very impressed.

Their gig in the Sugar Club is on October 16. Unfortunately that's a Wednesday, but what can you do. It's also pretty expensive at €24 but I'll be there nonetheless.

Thanks again.

PunyHuman wrote:
    October 16.

November 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭quintron

Not a piano trio but a great funky IRISH trio... Organics.
    New album in the shops. Check it out in Tower. Support Irish Jazz Musicians. They equal anyone on the world stage.
    Q.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Get:
    Oscar Peterson trio - Night Train
    Bud Powell - Jazz Giant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 nutgroist

E.s.t

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

I agree with est, the Esbjorn Svensson Trio. Some gorgeous piano melodies, laid back beats and solid bass. Not really funky, though I have yet to listen to their early material.

I'm so pissed off I missed them in the point. Oh well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 nutgroist

wasnt the Point, mate (thank god, imagine how bad the sound wouldve been)- they played vicar st back in the summer. and they ROCKED!

though i'll say this to the original poster, if you don't have time to check them all out...

Keith Jarrett

Keith Jarrett

Keith Jarrett

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Ah yes. That would make more sense. :o

Thanks for all your posts.

Did anyone else go to that Bad Plus gig? They were fantastic.

Glad to see Brad Mehldau is playing Vicar Street next month... must pick up some tickets soon.

Advertisement