Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPod nano scratching problem?

Options
  • 27-09-2005 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭

I've been a massive Mac fan and user for about ten years now. I'm the proud and happy owner of a PowerBook, but until now have resisted the iPod revolution. That was, until I saw pictures of the iPod nano. Looks sublime. Now might be the time for an old fart to join the mp3 generation.

So I did and search for early reviews and feedback on the Nano, before parting with cash and came across quite a few stories - all with the same theme - the Nano scratches very easily. One thread on Apple's own site runs to over 600 posts:

http://discussions.info.apple.com/webx?14@541.9CkDaTRdVqT.1@.68b94d61

I'd be interested to hear the experiences of Irish nano users. I wouldn't be too keen to part company with €200 for something which looks like a dog's butt after a week.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

Have you seen this? I'd wait until the fuss has died down. Still a tasty product, if they've fixed this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

I have a 4gig black nano and imho the whole issue is exagerated.

Sounds like they had a limited batch of nanos with a screen problem(which they'll replace) but the scratching thing is overblown. I don't carry mine in a pocket full of change and keys and wouldn't expect it to come out of such an experience unscathed.

No scatches on mine whatsoever, i'm thrilled with it to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Yeah. I've had mine over 2 weeks now and it's fine too.

It's so small and light that I keep it in my the top pocket of my shirt when I've walking around, so it doesn't contact with any other junk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Thanks for the feedback. I notice the screen is made of the same material as the fourth generation iPod and nary a word spoken about that. That does make the point however out that the first three generations were made of another, presumably more duarable, material. Why didn't they stick with it?

I think I'll wait a few months to see if there are either changes in the manufacturing process - a simple scratch-resistant treatment for the screen perhaps - or a cover/sleeve that comes bundled with the unit. Having read a good few threads and listened to what Bluehair and monkeyfudge are saying, I think the scratching issue is probably way overstated. It's a bit like someone saying to you "Have you ever noticed you have a small mole on your neck?" By the time you've looked at it a few times in the mirror, you're convinced you have half a basketball on your throat.

All that said, I still think I'll hang on for nano - The Next Generation. Apple will probably have to make it a little more robust (there's the separate cracked screens issue as well), simply to counter the bad PR. There are always wrinkles to be ironed out with a new product and I can't see Apple not addressing any possible criticisms with the refining of nano Mark 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

Apparently, one 10th of a percent (0.1%) of iPod nano's initially shipped had a problem with the screen scratching/breaking. That was due to a vendor shipping defective displays. If your iPod nano is affected, you will get it replaced for free.

The problem has since been fixed.

As far as scratching, iPod's do scratch, but in my experience no worse than a Nokia mobile... I just got a new Nokia 6230i a week ago, and even though I kept it in my pocket without any other items, its screen is already scratched worse than my 1-year old iPod's screen, which I also put in my pocket. If you're really worried about scratches, get a case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Anyone seen any 4GB nanos for sale anywhere in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

I've had mine about a week now, nothing wrong with it so far...all it needs is a bit of care and it won't get a chance to scratch

I'm going to get a case though when they come out (are they out yet?), i haven't seen them anywhere

hughchal afraid not, seems they are getting them in small orders and selling out fast pretty much everywhere :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭vox

hughchal wrote:

Just get them online from the apple store... it will arrive in a week or 2 plus you get free engraving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Trouble

Nanos are great and industructible = http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/nano.ars/3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Shadow_2k5

hughchal wrote:

there not going to be launched in Europe for a few weeks so say Spectra's Apple Store & o2

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Shadow_2k5

As for the Nano screen prob don't put them in your Pocket with keys & don't sit on them & you will have no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Saw the black 4GB nano for sale in Pixels in Baggot Street. Went in and held one of the little blighters in my hand - it's even smaller than I'd imagined.

That was Wednesday, so if anyone is still interested, I'd call and see if they're still in stock. Heck, I'll even save you looking for the number - Pixels, Baggot Street 678 9644, Pixels Upper Liffey Street 878 6699.

Advertisement