Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Installing TRVs on copper piped rads. DIY?

Options
  • 27-09-2005 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭

I'm getting gas & gas boiler in, and I was told that thermostatic radiator valves were the best way to control each radiator on an existing 1 cicuit copper pipe based system. Can this be done by a DIY novice? I was told I should get two per rad.

Would the radiators need to be emptied?

Any advice would be appreicated!

LK

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭towbar

Have done this myself, radiators do need to be emptied.

You only need one per radiator not sure why you were told you needed two. I used a Myson trv which can be put on either end of the radiator. You should site it on the side that gets the best sense of room temp ie. dont install the trv behind a bed or tight into a corner, keep it on the exposed side.

You must leave one radiator with no TRV and open the valve fully, this is in case all TRV's are closed and the heating pump is running.

If the valves dont fit onto the existing connections which unfortunately is very likely you may have some cutting and reconnecting to do. At a minimum you need to use plumbers tape or flax to seal the joints. Dont overtighten the joints.

Not a job for the faint hearted and unfortunately you'll only notice the leak when you refill the system and to fix it you may have to empty the system again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

towbar wrote:
    You must leave one radiator with no TRV and open the valve fully, this is in case all TRV's are closed and the heating pump is running.

:eek:

All of my radiators have TRVs
    will the fact that we have two heated towel rails (operated on the same 'circuit') replace the need to have one radiator with no TRV ?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LeperKing

towbar wrote:
    Not a job for the faint hearted and unfortunately you'll only notice the leak when you refill the system and to fix it you may have to empty the system again.

Thanks towbar,

Looks like I'll leave it to the professionals. There are a few rads with covers, so they'll have no trvs attached. I asked the gas man about two trvs on each rad, and he said "you could put just one on the flow side but its better to have the two" ??

LK

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭hargo

can radiator covers be used with trv, or would trv have to be placed outside the cover?

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LeperKing

I don't think so.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement