Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solar/Wind turbine for shed light

Options
  • 27-09-2005 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,
    I am trying to source somethign simple to power a low wattage bulb in my shed (to save me having to run cables through the garden)
    Im not sure will I get the sunlight for solar, especially during winter, however we have a fairly constant breeze running down the side of the house (like a wind tunnel somedays) but all the wind turbines I can see are a) expensive & b) providing much more power than I need & c) large.
    any ideas?
    I see maplins have a solar powered shed light for £15 but its only 6 watt or something

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭patrido

in general wind is better than solar (pv) not least because we get more wind in ireland than sun :)

could you use some 12v lighting powered by a car battery and use wind to somehow charge the battery?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

yeha, I mean its not a big shed by any means, your standard 6ftx7ft if that
    I just dont want to spend a shed load (har har) of cash on something this unimportant, I mean I could just buy a torch...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭patrido

or just for the sake of it you could spend countless hours/hours pay building/buying a big propellor, an alternator from an old car, linked to the battery, which generates 220v ac through an invertor. just to power a 13W CFL :D

possibly the least cost efficient project ever :) anyone want part of a 200 year return on investment.

you know you want to :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Can you rig up something out of an old bike dynamo and a 6 volt lead acid motorbike battery? surely that would run a load of LEDs?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

yeah that would be perfect, now all I need is a dynamo, a fan blade and a 6v motorcycle battery :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭beldin

Seek and ye will find
    http://www.otherpower.com/toymill.html

Allyou need is a computer fan , an electric motor out of a toy car and a rechargeable battery (use an old mobile phone batter)

Or go to maplin and buy
    a) a solar panel kit for lighting a shed approx 80 euro
    b) Lead acid battery approx 25 euro
    c) battery regulator 15 euro

Well that is what I did...probably cheaper to run cable but I couldn't be bothered..

Advertisement