Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Railway Sleepers Cutting

Options
  • 27-09-2005 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

I got my lot of Railway Sleepers and I am putting them down instead of kerbing.
    But I have hit a major snag :( .

All the straight runs are done, and now I need to join them up with curved bits, but cutting them is taking ages, and it is extreemly hard to get a straight cut, (Yes I am using a chainsaw, a pretty big one, and I hate using the bloody yoke).

Anyway, does anyone know anywhere (kildare/west dublin) where i can bring them and have them cut?

Your help/thoughts/advice/experiences would be greatly appreciated, as I really want to get this project finished asap, so i can have my lawn leveled out etc.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

How about getting one of those circular saws that Aldi were selling since last Thursday? I'm sure it would work cutting from both sides, I guess you could check the depth it cuts on the Aldi website. It would be a lot more acurate that a chainsaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I would imagine the blade would die half way through the first one!
    Also these things are pretty thick, approx 8"x4".

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Whenever I've seen landscape contractors in our area sawing sleepers they've been using chainsaws wth no apparent problem. I take it you've been maintaining the saw properly, sharpening it regularly, checking chain tension and keeping it topped up with chain oil?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Well I thought I was,

But I'd better double check all of the above, and the filter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I hate to be a killjoy, but creosote impregnated sleepers are just not suitable for a domestic garden. If kids will never get near them, it might be ok, but otherwise ...

• Advertisement
Advertisement