Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storage heater advice

Options
  • 27-09-2005 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I have my house heated from a ground-source heat pump/underfloor heating system. However one bedroom has a north and east aspect with little solar-gain during the day, obviously moreso in Winter. The UFH was installed at a uniform density so this means the room is noticibly cooler than the rest of the house, particularly if there is an extended cold spell.. It's the master bedroom - now I actully like a cool bedroom but conversely the co-occupant (wife mostly ) prefers it warm. The ensuing duvet overload for winter is more than I can face for our second winter in the house.

As I have day/night rate electricity I was wondering should I invest in an electric storage heater - I would appreciate any advice on make, supplier, where to site it in the room, how long to switch it on and if it is even an economic proposition. I need to increase the room temp by a couple of degrees C at most. The room has 3 outside walls, 2 with uPVC, Pilkington K finished double-glazing and is approx 13ftx13ft

She thought my hot-water bottle solution required too much discipline!

Thanks in anticipation.

Paul

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭patrido

apologies if you've looked into this already, but there may be ways to get the floor to emit more heat. or are you sure that it's underspecced output wise?

who installed/designed the ufh? were the normal heat loss calcs done for each zone? does the room have it's own dedicated zone and thermostat or is it part of a larger zone?

btw, i know a couple who have 2 seperate (i.e. one each) double duvets on their king size bed. no duvet hogging and each can have different togs :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

Can't see that a storage heater is the right solution for a bedroom. They give off most of their heat in the daytime and are cold by the evening.

An ordinary electric convector heater with a timer would be a better solution or perhaps - a hotter dame.

Advertisement