Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What the hell in happening with Egans

Options
  • 27-09-2005 11:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Don't the Belfry Hotel own it now?
    No idea what their doing with it though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Cabaal wrote:
    Don't the Belfry Hotel own it now?
    No idea what their doing with it though

I hope they don't just use to expand the Belfry, I'd prefer Egans to come back to be honest...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

merlante wrote:
    I hope they don't just use to expand the Belfry, I'd prefer Egans to come back to be honest...

Maybe they should built a shopping center ;)
    :p

Cabaal wrote:
    Maybe they should built a shopping center ;)
    :p

Maybe you should buy it and move in there. Less traffic in JR square. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Bards

As far as I know the people who owned Egans (Reid I think) own and built the Belfry then sold egans. I believe Primark (Of Brown Thomas and Pennies fame) has bought the site and have done nothing with it. Maybe they will either expand Pennys into it or open A BT's.. only time will tell

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

You are correct in saying that Primark are the new owners. The plan is to build a new and bigger Penny's store, except the problem is that the Dentist who occupied the second floor of the old egans building maintains that he has this long lease and is refusing to leave the building. This is the story which is floating around at the moment anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

As far as I know they are trying to expand and therefore enable a Brown Thomas to move in there and not just extend Penney's so they can fit more socks in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

The Pennys in waterford is the dogs Boll*ox, it could do with a upgrade IMO. If you compare it to the one in Cork it would be like calling a mars bar a 4 square meal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Maharet

The Pennys in waterford is the dogs Boll*ox, it could do with a upgrade IMO. If you compare it to the one in Cork it would be like calling a mars bar a 4 square meal

That's for ****in sure, if you compare it even with the less good one on O'Connell St in Dublin it's utter ****e. No use compare it to the new Mary St one in Dublin as that's in a different league to the poor excuse of an effort of a Penny's that is the one in Waterford. :mad:

Pity to see Egan's go all the same, that was a decent pub back in the day. :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Are we talking about the place besides Pennys just off Barrond Strand St? Was a pub? Tis been empty a while.

Pennys is scary - big space but everything is all over the place and ya can hardly breath in there. Hate to be a Securtiy Guard there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Maharet

Sully04 wrote:
    Are we talking about the place besides Pennys just off Barrond Strand St? Was a pub? Tis been empty a while.

Yep that's the one, yeah it has been closed a good while alright, I was talking about back in 97/98/99 when I used to still drink there when I was in school. :)
    Sully04 wrote:
    Pennys is scary - big space but everything is all over the place and ya can hardly breath in there. Hate to be a Securtiy Guard there.

That's for sure, had the misfortune of being in there Saturday last, clothes all over the floor, barely room to move between the racks of clothes, luckily I was only waiting on someone not actually shopping, it's such a kip!

Maharet wrote:

That's for sure, had the misfortune of being in there Saturday last, clothes all over the floor, barely room to move between the racks of clothes, luckily I was only waiting on someone not actually shopping, it's such a kip!

It's so hot and cramped and with the clothes on the ground, the place looks and feels desperate.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I presume everyone knows they have Planning Premssion notices erected around the place? Not sure how long they are there but im guessing this thread is regarding those?

Sully04 wrote:
    I presume everyone knows they have Planning Premssion notices erected around the place? Not sure how long they are there but im guessing this thread is regarding those?

Umm.. What do they say?

expantion to pennys, stock rooms etc etc
    read it on the way down to the belfry two weeks back

Cabaal wrote:
    expantion to pennys, stock rooms etc etc
    read it on the way down to the belfry two weeks back

Yup. Thats the one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Bards

From waterford City Planning Database
    =============================

http://www.waterfordcity.ie/ePlan/InternetEnquiry/rpt_ViewApplicDetails.asp?validFileNum=1&app_num_file=05242

Extract
    =====
    to demolish front portions of existing Penneys Store and adjoining Egans Bar, construct new three storey building incorporating retail sales areas, stockrooms, offices & staff areas, plant/boiler house, refurbishment of existing stock rooms, construct new two-storey stockroom extension to rear, external signage and all associated site development works

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Jessica

I don't think they can demolish the fron of egans as far as i know there is a preservation order on the front of it!

but please let them put BT in there and not pennys - there is enough chav clothing in waterford without a bigger pennys !!

Bring style to waterford ... bring in BT

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Jessica wrote:
    I don't think they can demolish the fron of egans as far as i know there is a preservation order on the front of it!

but please let them put BT in there and not pennys - there is enough chav clothing in waterford without a bigger pennys !!

Bring style to waterford ... bring in BT

erh? chav clothing = pennys! thats news to me. Surely chav's all get their clothing from champions sports and the like...i dont really shop in either thou so i suppose you could be right?
    Brown Thomas would be a welcome to waterford.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Jessica

Well Lets be honest it isn't exactly high brow fashion that is going on in pennys now is it!

chav is the best way to describe it - i could say knacker but i am sure that would start a holy war !! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement