Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mini-ITX based Media box

Options
  • 27-09-2005 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭

I'm interested in building a mini-itx based media box.

Basically I have two 200 Gig Seagate Baraccudas (1x IDE & 1 x SATA) from a Desktop system that I have sold.

So I want to integrate them into a box that I can access with my laptop.

It would also be desirable to have the 'box' near the lcd tv (Primary Display) in the living room so that I can watch movies etc.

I have just considered buying USB cases but they are not as versatile as I would like.
    Have also considered NAS, but I think its too expensive.

So my questions are:

Has anyone here built something like this and thus can they recommend a manufacturer who delivers the parts to Ireland?
    I have checked a few sites in the uk like mini-itx.com and linitx.com they are both pretty good but have really expensive delivery nearly £50!

I am impressed with the SilverStone LC11, has anyone here had any experience with this case or other SilverStone cases?

Can anyone recommend a decent Linux distro that would work as a Media server?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I'd advise against it. YOu could get a far better system for the money. They aren't as silent as the advertising would have you believe.
    I got a MII12000 and it's performance in all areas leaves alot to be desired. I took a chance and lost, and I'm now resolutely against evert buying anything from VIA again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 mickmccabe

SyxPak, I was just wondering where you felt the performance fell down. It's only a 1.2GHz processor so it's not going to have great speed. I was thinking of building a PVR from one of these system.

Are they really noisy?

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

It's more the case fan and cpu fan. If you're buying them for their small size, you're typically going to buy a small case which implies small fan. If you want a fanless board, it's typically going to be a few speed grades lower.

The performance of LAN, IDE, general windows responsiveness, media playback using various codecs, players, files and settings. Under hdparm -tT /dev/hda tests in Linux (2.4.x/2.6.10+ kernel compiled for the chipset and cpu too) it was terrible compared to hdparm results for the same drive in other machines.
    My old P3 800 whipped it around the place.
    I'm relegating it to an Ubuntu box for the family soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭WezzyB

I see that Pixmania have the Asus S Presso for €200 (Standard) and €300 (Deluxe)
    Has anyone got any experience with this machine?

The Deluxe edition has a Built in LCD Display, TV card, Remote.
    It also Instant On software from InterVideo called LinDVD, which plays DVDs, FM, MP3, TV...

I don't really care too much for the extra pieces of kit that come with the Deluxe edition but would like the Instant On Software, are there any Linux Distros people could recommend that do this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

I'd nearly guarantee that any of their bundled software is cack. Anything from companies like that tends to be really.

KnoppMyth maybe as a linux distro to run on it ? It's a self setting up MythTV distro. Slap in a TV card and you can do the whole PVR thing as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭WezzyB

Thanks Demon I actually have downloaded KnoppMyth already, haven't installed it yet onto my laptop as the last time I booted Knoppix it didn't recognise my Laptop keyb, Will wait for a new box so I can put Knopp(ix/Myth) on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Ajnag

Cheap way to go about it, if your not bothered about the full functionality of a mpc.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/electronics/video/5e77/

Advertisement