Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crossfire info...

Options
  • 26-09-2005 8:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭

Just got an email from ATi....

The NDA for Crossfire is lifted today at 2PM...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

forgive my ignorance... NDA??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

unklerosco wrote:
    forgive my ignorance... NDA??

Non-disclosure agreement.

When you goto an ATi technical briefing, they make you sign an NDA...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

You learn something new over day...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

so wheres the actual info on crossfire???? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Jammer

2pm, on the dot....

• Advertisement

Jammer wrote:
    2pm, on the dot....

ah yeh sorry just notivced u posted it this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Seems a bit of a bodge job

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=26455

valthree.jpg

man thats bad, sloppy work

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

So Wizzard what does this tell us?

X1800XL is beaten by 300 3DMarks by 7800GT

What does that mean for the 7800GTX versus the X1800XT????

What do we reckon lads?

I reckon there ain't gonna be much between them myself

• Advertisement

WizZard wrote:

so it gets beaten by a 7800gt... thats not good

Unless thats 2x7800gt's.. then it would be cool.. doubt it

its looking worse for ati these days :( i may have to switch to nvidia for the mo..time is running out :D

That's actually a slightly overclocked 7800GT. But yeah, it doesn't look good...

Looks like the hardware resolution problem is valid after all. At least for the current revision of cards. Bit-Tech have a Hands-On-Preview of Crossfire out now.

WizZard wrote:
    Looks like the hardware resolution problem is valid after all. At least for the current revision of cards. Bit-Tech have a Hands-On-Preview of Crossfire out now.

hmm.. looks like 2x 7800gtx's for the moment then.

what a shame...... :(

"Buying CrossFire for X800 or X850 is a bit pointless. No one would surely buy an X850 when, for £30 more, they can have a 7800 GT. Likewise, no one would buy an X850 when, for the sake of waiting just a few days, they can get a X1800 for similar money. Likewise, money spent on an additional, or dual X800s would be better off put in a pot and saved towards a 7800 or X1800. Upgrading to a CrossFire mainboard is great - you'll set yourself up for dual X1800 action and get a great new board to boot - just wait a little for the new cards."

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2005/09/26/ati_crossfire_detail/7.html

• Registered Users Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

i'm worried about the USB/IDE/SATA/LAN capabilities of those crossfire boards, ATI are using Promise's SATA controller on their south bridge (it's integrated on chip, and they have their drivers marked as ATI, but it's Promise's tech.), which isn't as good as the current nvidia implementation.

astrofool wrote:
    i'm worried about the USB/IDE/SATA/LAN capabilities of those crossfire boards, ATI are using Promise's SATA controller on their south bridge (it's integrated on chip, and they have their drivers marked as ATI, but it's Promise's tech.), which isn't as good as the current nvidia implementation.
    How do you mean?

Well, that was a bit of an Anti-Climax! (The Crossfire NDA expiring and (p)reviews being released)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Seems like its to little to late for ATI this round just like with the X800 vs 6800 round lol. Maybe next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭dubdvd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

1 review out of about 7 is not good odds tho.

dubdvd wrote:
    Well, it looks like the Crossfire chipset is fantastic, but there's no point in having a fantastic overclocking board if the graphics solution isn't up to par (or world-record standard).

The fact is they are trying to catch up to nVidia and their Crossfire graphics cards will have to be very special to do that at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

In what games will you actually notice the difference between the latest ati and nividia grapically? None?

3DMark05.

D'oh, you said game. Umm, none (I think).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Terran

Visually pretty much none, but NVIDIA are still tops in performance at the moment, and Crossfire isn't holding up to SLi, and ATI have been a whole generation behind NVIDIA for months now. ATI, you've been tr0wn3d.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Gilgamesh

tbh, I think the details for the X1800 cards aren't a factor at the moment, as the only detail on that linky Wizzard put up, has the actual card name blurred out of 3DMark.
    I will believe the details when they are officially out and tests have been rn on an official basis.
    man I am nearly hitting those scroes with my Rig at the moment, so surely they must have more at hand.

Advertisement