Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unrealistic?

Options
  • 25-09-2005 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭

Hopefully next september I will in my first year of college in UCC. I live in Dublin and was roughly estimating costs in my head of accomodation. There should be four of us and I was pricing rent of a 3bed house (800-900e a month), which would mean 50-56e a week each.
    Of course the 2lads share and us girls get a room each :D .
    But I came accross an article which said a downfall to UCC and nearby area was appalingly overpriced accommodation and I was talking to a lad i know in Cork and he said that I won't get anything cheaper that 75e a week.
    Am I being unrealistic of what I want and think I can get?
    Any advice appreciated.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭treefingers

around college it is a bit pricy. the cheapest you could get is 60 a week id say, and the house is very likely either: a) very very small or b) in a bad condition.

even with 2 people sharing a room, you are looking at around 70 each i'm afraid....

in first year (2 years ago) i shared a room with a friend and it was 65 each. and prices have only gone up.

sharing a room becomes torture after a while i found as well due to lack of privacy, even if you are close friends....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

nope I'm sorry, treefingers has it in one, there is no decent accommodation around Cork for those kind of prices. Student accommodation in Cork has been freed up a lot in last couple of years with new blocks of purpose built apartments but even the College Road houses can still charge the rent they like because they are so handy to live in. If you consider living in Wilton, you have a higher chance of getting a house with costs like what you are hoping for.. but that involves a nice walk or bus journey to college.. and most students find that the further you are from college.. the less you go!! Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

You can get decent accomodation for about E60 p/w if you head towards bishopstown/wilton, but thats a 25 minute walk to UCC, and a similar wait+journey time on the bus.
    So basically, treefingers and Cork_girl are right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Jwacqui

well I don't mind walking that far if it means cheaper rent, and I'm in dublin d only way to get around is buses lol.
    Where I am in dublin is a 20-25 walk to school, mayb more to be in at 9 I'd have to leave for the bus at 8.20 the latest. So that wouln't b a major problem......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

only thing is that the bus service in Cork and the bus service in Dublin are a little different... and it definitely rains more!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Anywhere around college will be in the region of E75. In fact, the SU had posters up this year asking people not to pay more than that for accomodation. If you head to the suburbs, it will be cheaper and you probably will be able to find a house rather than having to share. I'd say somewhere in the region of E1000 for a 3bed house wouldn't be unreasonable

Advertisement