Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Govt urged to encourage energy efficient homes

Options
  • 25-09-2005 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭

From the Examiner
    25/09/2005 - 2:05:25 PM

Govt urged to encourage energy efficient homes

The construction of energy-efficient homes must be encouraged by the Government with financial incentives, it was claimed today.

The use of energy in homes accounts for around 28% of all energy related- Carbon Dioxide (CO2) emissions in Ireland, more than either transport or industry.

Labour Party Environment spokesman Eamon Gilmore said there was a need to encourage people to install solar panels, ground heat pumps and even small hydro turbines in their homes and buildings.

“If the Minister is serious about energy efficiency and about meeting Ireland’s commitments under Kyoto to reduce CO2 emissions, then providing help to those who want to make their homes more energy efficient is a logical and necessary step,” he said.

Under the Kyoto protocol, Ireland is only permitted to have a 13% increase in CO2 emissions by the end of the decade. But according to Sustainable Energy Ireland, CO2 levels will have risen by 25% between 1990 and 2010.

“Many people in Ireland are concerned about the global warming issue and the Government’s apparent apathy towards our Kyoto commitments. In addition, many people have real worries about the rising cost of heating fuel and of the additional financial strain that rising oil prices will put on households,” said Mr Gilmore.

He said that in Britain, the Clear Skies Programme has provided grants to people and organisations that install energy efficient technology.

“For example, a householder in Scotland installing a €7,300 ground heat pump would be eligible to receive a grant of €2,200.”

Sustainable Energy Ireland provides grants of up to €5,000 under its House of Tomorrow scheme to companies building ten or more units with certain energy saving technologies.

Mr Gilmore said the scheme should be widened to include individual new homes and existing homes which had energy efficient technologies installed.

“Creating a fiscal encouragement to those who wish to invest in renewable energies in their homes or community organisations would be a very progressive and effective step,” he said.

I wonder if increased pressure will make the govt move on this issue, they are lagging so far behind trhe rest of europe it isn't funny.
    If I was a paranoid sort of person I would be asking why it is only developers that get the grants.
    :rolleyes:

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

I have asked Minister for Envirnonment that question already and he did not give me a straight answer, I then told him that I was not shocked really with the state of Ireland and its told leaning towards making the rich richer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭xonencentral

I'm a bit sceptial about the grants in the UK. My cousin in Birmingham was looking at a solar system and he went after this grant which I think was 50% but he was told that he had to have it installed by an approved installer who was on the scheme, otherwise no grant.

He wanted to install it himself as it wasn't complicated but when he was told the approved installers price, it was more than the grant. :confused:

Does that not sound like jobs for the boys and closed shop practices, surely the competition authority in the UK can't be supporting it.

I know grants would be great in Ireland but our idiot government seem to photocopy every new UK idea and think its fabulous.

If these are the grants that are proposed for Ireland i.e. in the same structure, isn't that a monopoly type scenario, reducing competition and god knows we need more competition and lower prices all round on renewables.

Any thoughts ?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Jaysus, if it happens there then I am sure in this lovely honest country here, there is no way someit like that could happen!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

CJhaughey wrote:
    From the Examiner
    25/09/2005 - 2:05:25 PM

“If the Minister is serious about energy efficiency....."
    Do you think he said that with a serious face?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Has anyone else tried out this Residential Power Saver thing,
    or more importantly does it work or is it just a gimmick!
    http://www.pgs.ie/displayhome.php?pageid=76

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Lidl were selling one of these type of things about a year ago, cost ~ €30 or so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭RPGGAMER

me ma says ireland still gets no grants for solar panels, geotheral heating. you get grants though everywhere else. hopefully they'll be here soon though.

Advertisement