Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting dog to sleep in a different place?

Options
  • 25-09-2005 4:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭

We have a dog who has slept in our garage since we got her which was about 10 years ago, but we need her to sleep in the shed (other end of the garden) as we need the space for the bands equipment. How should i go about this then?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

Lock the garage and put some doggy food in the shed at night? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

How did she get into the garage every night? Did you put her there or did she just sort of wander in on her own account?
    If you actively put her / send her there , just send her to the shed instead.
    If she went to bed on her own ...it might get a tad difficult after ten years.

Most important is that you move all her bedding, toys and whatever else she might get comfort out of in the garage to the shed as well.
    Get her into the shed, make it a nice and rewarding place to be. Start in small paces. Feed her in the shed, reward her in the shed, familiarise her with it. Once she likes and knows the shed, move her bedding in her presence and tell her to lie down there.

This might take some time, don't rush it.

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭lazylad

superconor wrote:
    We have a dog who has slept in our garage since we got her which was about 10 years ago, but we need her to sleep in the shed (other end of the garden) as we need the space for the bands equipment. How should i go about this then?

You could simply just lock the dog in the shed..but I think you should test waters first. The dog might seriously not like the shed or might love it.
    If you try and put the dog to bed in the shed and you notice that she goes in the door and out and in again, it could mean the dog doesnt feel comfortable there. I have found that you have to study the body language of a dog.
    you have to take into account that moving the dog to a different location after 10 years could be bad for their mental health! Important you treat your dog as much as you'd treat a person.
    If you know you're dog well, you will sense whether he/she is happy or unhappy about being moved in the shed. :)

As for sleep. If the dog is pretty old, they'll probably hound for a night or two and then be quiet but their sleep might be interrupted for maybe a week or two. You might notice changes in appetite because moving a dog interruptes their whole system especially when they are used to routine. So changes in appetite can affect food also.

Sounds a bit much, but I have seen dogs been moved and it does and can affect their whole system! Not as much when they are 1-2 years old, but 10 years can be make a dog less tolerable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

Why move the dog at all? Why don't you put some of your equipment in the other shed? Surely the poor dog doesn't take up that much room or do you practice in the garage also?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Kitchen !
    Nice bed in there - she's old now and will feel the cold more -
    I tell you she'll have no trouble settling in

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Maybe make her a sleeping nook somewhere safe, but in the garage?

She's not going to want to move. The garage is a good spot for your faithful guard wolf (even if she's a chihuahua) - she's near the big dangerous things that threaten her pack, close to their point of entry, but somewhere warm and sheltered too.

If you shut her out of the garage, I suspect that she'll just spend some or all of each night curled up outside the back door on the cold cold ground, poor old lady.

(I've seen this happen to a cat - when the baby was born, my neighbours put out their formerly beloved house cat, which used to wail and prowl sadly outside. She died of cardiomyopathy - or perhaps a broken heart - exacerbated by sleeping in the cold.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

Its not so much the room issue, its locking the garage at night and not having EVERYTHING covered in hairs! I think we might just move the amps into the house at night, save hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Yeah feck the dog as long as the amps are alright :rolleyes:
    Priorities man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Mark J

have a wooden dog house that my fella sleeps in.

we got him a shed so he`d have space to stretch his legs.
    (with the Irish weather it`d nice for him to stretch his legs.when the continuos rain comes)

done the rewarding/petting and when i tell him "get into bed" -
    he goes into the shed but sometimes, next morning he`s back in his box!

i`m adopting another dog this week but have also aquired a lawnmower.

is it o.k. to have the lawnmower in the shed with the dogs or are is the petrol in the lawnmower going to be a problem(with the smell/fumes?)

i think the new dog will adopt to the shed no hassle when he comes from the pound as he won`t have had the habit of going into the box.
    also with the 2 of them in there, surely their combined body heat`ll be beneficial for them on colder nights?

just back from a good run with him.

he`s F-ed! just before he planted himself on the ground i said
    "into bed" but he just plonked on the ground.

looked out just there and he`s in his box!

coulda bought myself something nice outta the money spent on the shed!

• Advertisement

is it o.k. to have the lawnmower in the shed with the dogs or are is the petrol in the lawnmower going to be a problem(with the smell/fumes?)

I'd say you answered that question for yourself already ...

peasant wrote:
    I'd say you answered that question for yourself already ...

point taken and noted

have a wooden dog house that my fella sleeps in.

we got him a shed so he`d have space to stretch his legs.
    (with the Irish weather it`d nice for him to stretch his legs.when the continuos rain comes)

Why don't you put the doghouse into the shed for a while?
    Just until he's used to going into the shed and staying there.

He obviously likes to be in a tight space (might help to make him feel safe) over stretching his legs for the moment ...so after a while remove the doghouse altogether and give him some nice, snuggly bedding in the shed
    ..he'll be grand ...especially with the other fella around.

Advertisement