Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mongolian Death Worm

Options
  • 25-09-2005 1:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hey, I was reading this article awhile back and I just went to check out the websight because it's back up. IT's only some of the article because it's long. If you want to read the whole thing go to: http://www.parascope.com/en/cryptozoo/predators06.htm#top (be sure to visit the "Weird Predators Petting Zoo"... yes they have chupas)

The desolate Gobi Desert is said to be the home of a mysterious, deadly creature called Allghoi khorkhoi, also known as the Mongolian death worm. It is described as a fat, bright red snakelike animal measuring two to four feet in length, which is vividly likened to a cow's intestine. In fact, the name Allghoi khorkhoi means "intestine worm." The death worm is so feared among the people of Mongolia that many consider the mere mention of its name bad luck, and it is attributed with the dramatic ability to kill people and animals instantly at a range of several feet. :eek: It is believed that the worm sprays an immensely lethal poison, or that it somehow transmits high electrical charges into its victims.

The foremost investigator of the Mongolian death worm is Czech author Ivan Mackerle, who first learned about the creature from a female student from Mongolia. After Mackerle told her about a diving expedition he had made in search of the Loch Ness Monster, she told him in a conspiratorial whisper, "We, too, have a horrible creature living in Mongolia. We call it the Allghoi khorkhoi monster, and it lives buried in the Gobi Desert sand dunes. It can kill a man, a horse, even a camel."NICE :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

split from loch ness thread.

welcome to boards.ie Defcon 5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

ah I knew there would be alcohol involved.
    Taken from defcon's site
    Mackerle and his colleagues befriended some Mongolian nomads who were willing to discuss the death worm, after a couple of bottles of Mongolian vodka loosened their tongues. They said that the worm squirts an acidic liquid that immediately makes anything it touches turn yellow and corroded.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Roddy23 wrote:
    ah I knew there would be alcohol involved.
    Taken from defcon's site

Well, the thing about cryptozoology is that new species and animals are being discovered all the time, so I wouldn't rule out the possibility that there may be such an animal.

Also, drink doesn't always wipe out a witnesses credibility. If you were assaulted after having a few pints in your local, and the gardai arrived and said, 'ah you've been drinking, let's go back to the station lads, no point listening to this one' - you wouldn't think that appropriate. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Undergod

Absolutely, if they found supposedly extinct fish still alive, and a whole new genus of animals in 1997, and marsupials, for God's sake, well there's no reason why an animal such as this couldn't exist, especially somehwere remote.

I don't entirely know whether I believe in the Death Worm, but cryptozoology is a great area, and this is one of the more plausible animals.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I would also add that if there was a sense of fear or paranoia surrounding such a creature, possibly people thinking that there was something supernatural about it, they might not want to talk about it while fully sober.

The article did not say he was drunk when he saw the creature, it says he told the author about the worm after drinking.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement