Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Quay - Expanding?

Options
  • 24-09-2005 9:56pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just noticed all down the Quay behind the Bus Eireann Terminus there putting down some gravel and bringing it out a good bit. Wats going on? Bus Eireann Expanding or is it WCC attempt at reducing floods?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Car park im told.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Car park im told.

How would that work out? For who? Your gonna have a bus stop, then in front of it a car park? :S

• Registered Users Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Barrie

Id say there extending the bus depot.I noticed it myself when the gravel was in mounds.They did that before to extend the car park on the quay if im not mistaken.

What I was told was they are extending the car park to the left of the bus stop as you look at it. Ill ask in the morning and post again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Car park im told.

Oh yay, a carpark! :mad:

They should be trying to get cars off the quay, not putting more there! Surface car parks on one of the cities best streets/boulevards - only in Waterford!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

That would look like some odd ****ing car park! How come the gravel is only in front of the Terminus and doesnt go past it? Why do they need extra car park spaces? Twould look a bit odd imo.

Sully04 wrote:
    That would look like some odd ****ing car park! How come the gravel is only in front of the Terminus and doesnt go past it? Why do they need extra car park spaces? Twould look a bit odd imo.

Asked the engineer in the family again and he said its defo a carpark, he's involved in a lot of that sort of thing

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

What a bloody waste of space, car situation in waterford is taking up far too much useful space

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Cabaal wrote:
    What a bloody waste of space, car situation in waterford is taking up far too much useful space

Surface carparks are of no use in this place what we need is more high rise car parking facilities like the one behind Michael St. Not more Bloody apartments...

Parking costs too much in Waterford as it is I nearly died last weekend in Kilkenny 60c an hour in the Dunnes Stores Carpark and I've been told it's about the same in the Market Cross just round the corner. Is it any wonder City Centre Traders are always complaining, no wonder they're putting in objections to the proposed Shopping/Business Complex in Ferrybank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Maharet

Yeah saw that when I was down this weekend, can't believe their puttin in another feckin car park, the quay looks desperate with those on it. :mad:

Yeah another multi-storey would be better, that one up behind Michael st is deadly though, it's very narrow, but I suppose they didn't have much space, still, was badly designed! :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

trishw78 wrote:
    Is it any wonder City Centre Traders are always complaining, no wonder they're putting in objections to the proposed Shopping/Business Complex in Ferrybank.

I guess any shopping center away from the city center might have cheaper parking so that would be fun :)

Oh can anyone tell me, I heard rumours about as small shopping complex being built around New Street where the WIT had a few class rooms, anyone know what the story is?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭Bards

The O'Donoghue Group of Companies are currently acquiring a lot of business/land on the block encompassing New Street, Stephen Street, Michael Street and Alexander Street.

So far they have acquired The Brewary distribution centre (Which they owned anyhow), De La Salle Social & Sports Club, The old Swifts Furniture factory (WIT arts COllege) The New Street Multi Story Car park, and a grave/headstone maker in Michael Street. St. Stephane's Primary School have plans to move I believe near Gracedieu which they may try and buy

They purchased Swifts to house the people who don't want to move out of the area whose houses they are buying as weel as receiving some form of compensation.

Bards wrote:
    The O'Donoghue Group of Companies are currently acquiring a lot of business/land on the block encompassing New Street, Stephen Street, Michael Street and Alexander Street....................<SNIP>

Jaysus! :eek: :eek:
    What the hell are they planning?

Cabaal wrote:
    Jaysus! :eek: :eek:
    What the hell are they planning?

A very large inner city shopping centre, pending the delays and pitfalls of a Brendan McCann challenge.

merlante wrote:
    A very large inner city shopping centre, pending the delays and pitfalls of a Brendan McCann challenge.

ah ffs, I live around their I don't want a massive shopping center, the traffic is bad enough as it is!

The roads are tiny, the junction at the end of Mayors Walk/Barrack Street is insane cause cars don't indicate and they drive at insane speeds.
    They need to build a shopping center OUTSIDE the center of the town! *cough* hint hint

Cabaal wrote:
    ah ffs, I live around their I don't want a massive shopping center, the traffic is bad enough as it is!

The roads are tiny, the junction at the end of Mayors Walk/Barrack Street is insane cause cars don't indicate and they drive at insane speeds.
    They need to build a shopping center OUTSIDE the center of the town! *cough* hint hint

Nah, we'll take another shopping centre in the centre thank you very much, how about you move outside of these 'insane' city centre streets! :p

I want a Waterstones and a HMV dammit. An M&S for the clothes wouldn't go astray either. There's loads of shops that haven't made it to Waterford yet!

merlante wrote:
    I want a Waterstones and a HMV dammit. An M&S for the clothes wouldn't go astray either. There's loads of shops that haven't made it to Waterford yet!

Ah yes I think we also need a Wallmart etc :rolleyes:

Cabaal wrote:
    Ah yes I think we also need a Wallmart etc :rolleyes:

Kilkenny can have the Wallmart! :)

merlante wrote:
    Kilkenny can have the Wallmart! :)

Ok, we shall build it on the other side of the river :D

Cabaal wrote:
    Ok, we shall build it on the other side of the river :D

heehee. Be great to see a decent size shopping centre in the city centre alright. :) Are they going to incorporate the carpark into it? They'd have to really, there's enough trouble getting parking in Waterford on a Saturday without losing that one.

• Advertisement

As far as I know they bough the New Street Car Park but will have it knocked.. I believe there will be an underground Car Park instead very much like City Square

Bards wrote:
    As far as I know they bough the New Street Car Park but will have it knocked.. I believe there will be an underground Car Park instead very much like City Square

Cool. :)

Bards wrote:
    The O'Donoghue Group of Companies are currently acquiring a lot of business/land on the block encompassing New Street, Stephen Street, Michael Street and Alexander Street.

So far they have acquired The Brewary distribution centre (Which they owned anyhow), De La Salle Social & Sports Club, The old Swifts Furniture factory (WIT arts COllege) The New Street Multi Story Car park, and a grave/headstone maker in Michael Street. St. Stephane's Primary School have plans to move I believe near Gracedieu which they may try and buy

They purchased Swifts to house the people who don't want to move out of the area whose houses they are buying as weel as receiving some form of compensation.

Where abouts in Waterford are these streets?

Sully04 wrote:
    Where abouts in Waterford are these streets?

Up behind Michael St. New St is the street that goes up between the pedestrianised bit of Michael St and where Geoff's, etc are, if you follow it up you can get to Ballybricken eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

i think they are putting in a m&s there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Is any of this mentioned in the 'official media'? I hav'nt heard any of this!

Mike.

I grew up in and around that area and know one or two people who have already received compensation and moved houses. Have a troll through back issues of the News & Star and i believe there were a couple of articles mentioned about it. I also know one or two who are refusing to move.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Marcopolo85

trishw78 wrote:
    Surface carparks are of no use in this place what we need is more high rise car parking facilities like the one behind Michael St. Not more Bloody apartments...

Parking costs too much in Waterford as it is I nearly died last weekend in Kilkenny 60c an hour in the Dunnes Stores Carpark and I've been told it's about the same in the Market Cross just round the corner. Is it any wonder City Centre Traders are always complaining, no wonder they're putting in objections to the proposed Shopping/Business Complex in Ferrybank.

Wouldn't agree with that Trish!

1. We certainly don't need another eyesore like that monstrosity in Newgate Street. That, coupled with that Maritana Gate eyesore at the Park and that bloody God-awful monstrosity that the Corpo have allowed next to the Castle in Railway square are the last things we need.

In any other Irish City we would have built a heritage centre. We build Legoland!

2. Only thing I can say about Kilkenny is that parking is a a premium here in Waterford - that's why you pay a premium rate. You can't really compare like for like. There's a big difference between a regional capital and a small country town.

3. People have a legitimate right to object (although I don't see the point in this case). I certainly wouldn't go to Ferrybank to shop. :confused:

3. People have a legitimate right to object (although I don't see the point in this case). I certainly wouldn't go to Ferrybank to shop. :confused:

Yeah they do, given the size of the feckin thing they were going to build out there! Far too huge for that area. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement