Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding a shopping cart to an existing web-site - Help needed???

Options
  • 24-09-2005 9:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hey guys.
    I could do with a little advice here.
    Basically, I'm trying to take an existing web-site and add a shopping cart feature to it so that a customer can browse around, if he sees a product he then adds it to his cart, and adds in his credit card details etc. I've been looking a lot at the Open-Source OsCommerce (PHP/My-SQL based) as a possibility for doing this, but I'm finding it difficult enough to alter it to fit in with the structure of the existing site. If I basically keep the structure of OsCommerce and forward the user to this each time he wishes to buy a product, then it's not too bad, but I'd really like a seamless integration.
    Does anyone here have any experience in this sort of thing? Any advice/pointers would be greatly appreciated....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Why do you say you're finding it difficult to integrate PHP/MySQL into the site?, shouldn't be an issue really?. There's always the option of an ASP/Access simple shopping cart solution if scale isn't an issue (there must be a million ASP shopping cart code examples if you Google it, making a fully functional cart within ASP is beyond easy). Another alternative is to use PayPal if you can't be arsed making a secure credit card processing system (with SSL and the like), you can still list the products on your site, Amazon style, the customer just uses PayPal to pay and you write code so you receive an email invoice of the items they ordered. Many ways to crack this nut..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

If you've looked at osCommerce, check out Zen Cart. It's a fork off the OSC codebase, but is much more straightforward to setup and customise. And it's FOSS :)

Advertisement