Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

check points

Options
  • 24-09-2005 1:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

:confused: Why are motorcyclists singled out at garda check points.Ive been stopped 8 times in the past month.Ive had to wait while a garda dealt with other bikes he had stopped previously before checking i had tax and ins ,which i tried to show before he held me up for between 10 to 15 mins.They should deal with u the same way they do with other motorists if u dont have documentation then pull u over,otherwise let u carry on and stop wasting ur time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

I have seen it before in the city centre where the Gard's are only pulling bikes. But at the same time I get waved through most other check points without them even looking at my tax disk.

Out of curiosity what do you ride?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Kazujo wrote:
    Out of curiosity what do you ride?
    That's what I was going to say. 9 times out of 10 when I reach a checkpoint, the Gardai just wave me on ahead of all the cars without checking my tax.

Perhaps they do this in the City Centre to catch the hundreds of couriers driving around unlicenced and untaxed. For the record, you don't have to show them evidence of insurance - you're not obliged to carry it on the bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 cat in hat

I drive an NTV650

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

I know I'm not obliged to carry my insurance cert, but cana Garda demand that you produce it at a Garda station and if so, under what circumstances?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

murphaph wrote:
    I know I'm not obliged to carry my insurance cert, but cana Garda demand that you produce it at a Garda station and if so, under what circumstances?
    Yep, and under any circumstances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,504 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I keep a reduced photocopy in my wallet, for just such occasions... It could save you a visit to the garda station..

I keep a reduced photocopy in my wallet, for just such occasions... It could save you a visit to the garda station..
    Very good idea Krusty, I'll do the same. There have been umpteen checkpoints around D15 over the past couple of months. Luckily every time I've approached one the Garda on my side was dealing with someone so I rode on by.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

D15: would being stopped be anything to do with Operation Anvil? I was out for a spin near Finglas at the start of the summer and a young copper stopped me. Don't think he checked the tax disc, just asked me where I was going.
    "Just out for a spin, young man."
    "Okay, thank you".
    That was it.

I dunno, all the checkpoints I've seen have been regular cops checking tax & insurance. Operation anvil might have summat to do with it of course, it kills two birds with one stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

Feel totally off the pace now but what's operation anvil?

Cops are fine with me by the way, get waved through quite often, though it might be that I've a classic looking bike and nearly always got a pillion - plus we're all geared up and respectable looking :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

art wrote:
    though it might be that I've a classic looking bike and nearly always got a pillion - plus we're all geared up and respectable looking :D

Ooh, what are you driving ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭art

K-TRIC wrote:
    Ooh, what are you driving ??
    Triumph ThunderBird Sport. Not many of them about, haven't seen another in Ireland yet.

http://www.roxbox.dk/picpages/triumph/classic/thunder3s_1.jpg

Mine's got a backrest (so the girlfriend can think she won't fall off) and luggage rack added though :)

Anvil is this garda crackdown on dirtbag drug dealers in Dublin west. That scumbag who was shot last week lived near me. I'm glad the guards are sitting on top of these knackers but the fcuking helicopter is a pita when it's over your house every day.

Advertisement