Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dream Interpreter Please!

Options
  • 23-09-2005 10:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭

Okay anyone any good at interperating dreams cuz I had a very odd one the other night.

Firstly I was swimming about the middle of the sea but it wasn't cold, just nice. My mam was around and I was looking after my little bro cuz he can't swim. Then there was kind of rocks and an oil rig/pontoon thing with some boats around it, including my family boat. There was lots of other people a this stage too.

That bit just disappeared and it was as if we were swimming through sand, it was all golden and warm, with rocks seperating us from the rich blue water. We "swam" around some rocks to see giant, GIANT snakes, and tried to calmly and quietly warn everyone to turn back.

I'm slightly blank on the next bit but then suddenly me and my mam were in a supermarket that was in the middle of the sea, wandering around getting the grocery's with loads of other shoppers. A huge number of members of the clu clux clan started to appear from no where, and we're taking over the whole shop so to speak. I'm not sure if they were clu clux as they were wearing orange robes rather than white but they loked like them anyway and I felt really scared. I tried to stay with my mam as we tried to get out of the market but we ended up seperated. We found eachother again in the check out line, but were surrounded by clu clux so stayed quite till we got back outside and then fled. We ran carefully down a lane that was crowed with these clu clux guys.

We were back in the sea then, I was swimming around, but my mam was on our boat and there were loads of other people in the water with me. We were all packed fairly tight together considering we were in the middle of the sea. Suddenly I felt something under foot and dove to see what it was. It was a man/boy (teens to twenties). He was unconscious, I think dead. I lost him from my grip through people standing on him in the water, so I dove deeper to get him and when I did I dragged him to the oil rig thing where I hauled him up and left him there, whilst calling something to my mam about him.

That was pretty much the end of it I just kept getting images of the clu clux guys and snakes and the water and the oil rig and crowds of people in the water and the feel of the body under foot...

It was all very vivid too and felt like it was really happening.

Any thoughts???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

1 - Why is this in paranormal?

2 - Dream interpretation is very difficult unless you know the person well.

3 - Its a very complex and chaotic dream, and it could have all sorts of meanings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

I find this site very helpful, just search for keywords in the dream, like mother, brother, sea, snakes, sand etc..will help give a better insight and you can piece the rest together yourself.

it reminds me of dream I had last month about oil rigs and what nots, there was a supermarket in that dream too. Sounds like some "current issue" influences there also.

[edit]probably more suited to spirituality too but sure..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Le Rack

I do apologise Zillah, but this was the closest I could think off, it was in the Profetic Dreams thread but I wanted it to actually get looked at, so I gave it its own thread.

Thanks Solas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Dreams are just junk dredged up from your subconscious mind most of the time, so I don't know why you think there should be an interpretation to any nonsense that one dreams about.

I mean, it's not even a recurring dream, so I wouldn't worry about it.

oh yes you manly man (sorry just remembering a thing you said about romance, think it was you...) I dunno it just felt incredibly real, and I've been putting together some thoughts that kinda fit it so meh...

• Advertisement

kernel wrote:
    Dreams are just junk dredged up from your subconscious mind most of the time, so I don't know why you think there should be an interpretation to any nonsense that one dreams about.
    why not?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

> why not?

coz it's the "paranormalists" who're saying that there's supposed to be some deep and extraordinary meaning to the night-time dredgings of the sleeping mind. It'd be nice to see some evidence to support this deep and extraordinary claim!

Evidence anybody?

well hello robin :) nice of you to drop by.
    good question, maybe someone can have a go at answering it.

It's said that dreams are things that your subconcious forms at night from your thoughts and always have a hidden or deeper meaning. It could be as bout as clear as muck but aparently its there and with my particualr one above, I made a few connections to things myself, but there are some confusing things. I'm just interested cuz usually ones that are so vivid to me end up having a serious meaning somewhere even if I don't realise it till ages after....

solas wrote:
    why not?

Well, because, while a recurring dream may be your subconscious mind trying to tell you something important in your psyche, neurologists and psychologists in the main agree that while sleeping the brain is involved in a highly active state of electrical activity (which, admittedly, they still don't understand fully) which they believe is the brain correlating information and memories. During the process of neurons firing off in different regions of the brain, different and obscure memories, thoughts, things we've seen on television and forgot about etc. are activiated into dreams, which is why dreams are so bizarre and yet often can be traced back to something we've briefly thought about or watched on tv that day.

Just as, I've mentioned before, deja vu is a misfire of one neuron from the part of the brain dealing with present, and the part of the brain dealing with memory.

Anyone who thinks every dream has a meaning is likely to be wrong. How many times have you watched a horror movie and dreamed you were being chased by a serial killer. How many times have you woke up with a song you haven't heard in 10 years in your head? Hell, I've even dreamed I was playing a video game on more than 1 occasion after some long gaming sessions.

Dream interpretation was something that was pioneered by Freud, who usually thought most dreams were repressed Oedipus complexes whereby we all wanted to have sex with our mothers. Most modern psychologists reject the notion, unless it happens to be a recurring dream of course.

• Advertisement

Kernel wrote:
    Anyone who thinks every dream has a meaning is likely to be wrong. How many times have you watched a horror movie and dreamed you were being chased by a serial killer. How many times have you woke up with a song you haven't heard in 10 years in your head? Hell, I've even dreamed I was playing a video game on more than 1 occasion after some long gaming sessions.

The only time anything like that has ever happend to me was when I was really young and I seen Jurasic park for the first time and dreamt that a dinosaur was ripping apart the Irish Ferry's ship I was on and was after me to eat me. So to answer your question, no not really.

Le Rack wrote:
    The only time anything like that has ever happend to me was when I was really young and I seen Jurasic park for the first time and dreamt that a dinosaur was ripping apart the Irish Ferry's ship I was on and was after me to eat me. So to answer your question, no not really.

Well, did you seek interpretation for the dinosaur chasing you dream?

Kernel wrote:
    Well, did you seek interpretation for the dinosaur chasing you dream?
    no cuz I knew it was from watching Jurasic Park, and I was about 6, and at the time we used to go to england a lot on the ferry so explains that bit...

Le Rack wrote:
    no cuz I knew it was from watching Jurasic Park, and I was about 6, and at the time we used to go to england a lot on the ferry so explains that bit...

So why do you want to try to lash an interpretation on to this one? :confused:

I posted the reasons in previous posts, god, pay attention, :rolleyes:

Le Rack wrote:
    I posted the reasons in previous posts, god, pay attention, :rolleyes:

I'm not God, god-like maybe, but not God. And, in case you didn't realise, that last question was a rhetorical one to surmise the path of logical reasoning which I had employed to teach you that you're dreams usually have no reason, and that the dream in question is about as meaningful as your Jurassic Park one. Pay attention yourself and you'll realise what's going on in a thread. :cool:

ssshh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Appologies as I didn't have time to read the full thread BUT dreams are a very personnal thing and they help work out problems you are having are deal with issue you currently have. Unfortunately they do not do it with a simple solution and you generally have to work them out to understand.

But I wouldn't recommend posting your dreams here, believe you are telling people alot more about yourself than what the dream means.

As an example, a guy I used to work with had a mad dream one night and told us abotu it the following day in work, it turned out he was having relationship problems, but he actually gave away alot more than I think he meant to, to the point where I was nearly going to tell him to stop before he revealed anything else.

thanx gilo, but eh, I am what I am, people do know a lot about me, I used to be a total bottler and told no one anything but most close peoples know almost everything there is to know about me...

Le Rack wrote:
    thanx gilo, but eh, I am what I am, people do know a lot about me, I used to be a total bottler and told no one anything but most close peoples know almost everything there is to know about me...

Always keep something Le Rack, not many people reread novels once they know what's in them, if they do, they're never as interesting as the first read. ;)

• Advertisement

Eh, I gots my other side, only for the special peoples, only very close friends even catch a glimpse of my darker side so to speak (I've depression and get very bad sometimes but always slap on a smile) and then there's a WHOLE other side of me when it come to boyfs and the likes!

Le Rack wrote:
    Eh, I gots my other side, only for the special peoples, only very close friends even catch a glimpse of my darker side so to speak (I've depression and get very bad sometimes but always slap on a smile) and then there's a WHOLE other side of me when it come to boyfs and the likes!

Yeah we all have the other side, hence the song 'Tears of a Clown' by Smokey Robinson. Anyway, want to have sex with me? ;)

I have to agree with gillo, dreams are very personal and while it can be useful to have some way to gain insight into our subconscious mind, sometimes too much self analysis can do more damage than good.

While I dream most nights, more often its vague stuff that I'm not too bothered trying to understand. Occasionally I get one which I will remember for much of the day and usually end up trying to make sense of it. (hence dream site link)
    But I know dreams reflect short term instances, for example, a dream might be a release mechanism after a bad week at work, or from a stress situation at home and should not to be considered as a long term personality diagnostic tool.

(hope that makes sense)

*waves stick at kernel.

Advertisement