Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband "for all of Donegal" by end of 2006, Government Minister ?.

Options
  • 23-09-2005 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭

Minister Pat(the cope)Gallagher has announced that he has today, approved license's for new Community based independent Internet Service Provider's, and that this should facilitate "Broadband becoming available to 'ALL" in Donegal by the end of 2006.

Good new's for the most marginalised and remote county in Ireland, and he never even mentioned €irCoN Heh,Heh :D .

P. :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,873 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Paddy20 wrote:
    Minister Pat(the cope)Gallagher has announced that he has today, approved license's for new Community based independent Internet Service Provider's, and that this should facilitate "Broadband becoming available to 'ALL" in Donegal by the end of 2006.

Good new's for the most marginalised and remote county in Ireland, and he never even mentioned €irCoN Heh,Heh :D .

That would be fantastic but.................. time will tell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

guys, if you live in a remote area and you are stuck for broadband, there are numerous companies out there that can set up a multi zone network for you via satalite

If you guys are intereasted then pm, i can give you the company that we use here.

MUFFLER i am not advertising so there nnnnaaaaaahhhhhhhh :P

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I'll believe it when I see it. I'd like to think it'll be true, but probably not until 2008 if at all :(

As for "satellite broadband" it's a waste of time and money IMHO unless lag isn't a problem for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

See 'Press release' on Pat's web site:- www.patthecope.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭jimmeh

vshat + 802.11 = ...

• Advertisement

jimmeh wrote:
    vshat + 802.11 = ...

Now, now, Jimmeh, watch out or muffler may BITE you. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 45,873 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Careful out there :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭jimmeh

It's true though ;)

byte

jimmeh wrote:
    vshat + 802.11 = ...
    /me shudders :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

jimmeh wrote:
    vshat + 802.11 = ...

me ponders as muffler shudders

what the hell are you on about

• Advertisement
    byte

vshat or vsat is basically satellite "broadband" and 802.11 is wireless.

Joining the 2 together is a mad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Glazun

Psh, that's olden news.. >_> I have BB here.. cept it apparently costs 150per year and 40 per month, and it's wireless, with a top speed of 512kb down/up load, and no dl limit.. ionno, it's better then dial up.. I should probably go get it.
    Smart Telecom are coming here aswell. I presume because all these wireless companies are around, that this new news must mean cables, Eircom are stupid idiots.. ¬_¬ they boasted about how ALL of ireland would sooon have BB, it's basicly the same with anything.. All of ireland, excluding that plot of land, connected to leitrim.. ¬_¬ ionno. Given that parts of donegal don't have mobile receiption. I'm looking at YOU ardara, psh.. its a monopoly town, governed by Vodavone, you get no 02 or Meteor signal there.. yet, in the middle of beyonds you do get 02 signal.. just not in a town.. of 300-400 people ( complete utter guess of population)

byte

Off Topic: what does "ionno" mean?

On Topic: A top speed of 512Kb is not great this day and age, though of course better than dial up and this is Ireland after all!

As for Vodafone in Ardara, I remember a few years ago, the reception of 087 was terrible, only more recently have I noticed full service.

Same goes for Ballintra, my home town. Vodafone mast (Eircell at the time) went up rather quickly with little or no objections. Then O2 wanted to erect a transmitter on the Garda mast, and there was local outcry, so no O2. They tried else where after that, and again, outcry! Ironically, you hear people whine about "ah, we're stuck with 087 coz 086 coverage is terrible!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Sin scéal eile

Well I'm delighted my brother in Co. Donegal has finally got broadband, which means I can keep in contact more often, get piccies of my nieces etc..

I love the internet

Hip hip hooraaaayy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

still no broadband 2.5 miles from donegal town eircom wont fix a short on the line

still no broadband 2.5 miles from donegal town eircom wont fix a short on the line

If I were you I would click on:- www.patthecope.com
    and then click on 'Contact PattheCope' on his website and let him have the details.

He is the Minister for the Marine, which is part of the 'Department of Communications', and I have always found him to be very pro-active when it comes to telecommunications/Broadband issues.;)

Plus, He is a 'DONEGALMAN' !.

Good luck.

P.:cool:

byte

Would that not be too far from the exchange (for DSL at any rate)?

Actually, AFAIK, there is FWA bb available if you've LoS to Barnesmore Gap. Harveys Point recently got it in, though I think they'd to wait ages. Not sure if the FWA is Eircom's for business use only or what the story is, as it's not promoted anywhere locally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

it is possible but I dont think the government will keep to this promise either

Advertisement