Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worst place to run out of petrol?

Options
  • 23-09-2005 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭

I was coming into work this morning and as I started making a right hand turn on a roundabout (3rd exit, standard 4 exit roundabout) the bike began to die! Normally she gives a bit of warning prior to needing to switch to reserve but not this time-just started slowing down really fast and coupled to this there was mud all over the road surface so it was pretty treacherous to be leaning over. This wouldn't be too bad but the nice driver behind me thought I was taking far too long and undertook me as she left by the 3rd exit, only for I threw a lifesaver over the left shoulder I would have slowly rolled right into her path. Talk about impatient!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Ouch, not good. Perhaps when you leaned over, the last drip of fuel was moved away from the tap, and your engine was instantly starved of fuel - hence why it didn't splutter like they tend to when you run out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

What i was thinking too Seamus.

Murphaph.....you have a cbr250 don't you? Best thing to do is fill it up to the brim and then take note, next time you hit reserve you will know appox. how much mileage you get before reserve so in further flick over to reserve a few kms before hand, that's what i do with my cbr :

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Yeah, just before the roundabout there's a sharp decsent too, so either the lean or that or both caused my last drop of juice to move to the wrong end of the float chamber.

I actually drive an old Suzuki GSX250e. I wouldn't use the reserve tap at all, ie I'd keep it topped up all the time but for the fact that a full tank is exactly 10 litres and I have to use lead replacement cos the valve seats aren't hardened, the bottle of castrol Valvemaster that I use has graduations of 10ml which will treat exactly 10L, so putting in 3/4 of a tank means guestimating the amount of lead replacement to use.

Advertisement