Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a bit of advice.

Options
  • 23-09-2005 11:02am
    Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ok heres the problem.
    Currently running a p4 2.8@3.2 approx(21x152) on a Zalman cooler.
    Have a 6600gt running at 580/1070 on a Zalman.
    1 gig pc 3200.

Been getting artifacts(green sparkles) on the screen in BF2 for a few days now even when the graphics card is underclocked to less than stock so I put it down to a faulty card.Tested the card in a second system and problem was not there.Also changed the cooler on the card as most stock coolers are crap.

Turns out its not the card at all.

I set my cpu back to the stock (2.8) and guess what the artifacts are gone regardless of how long I play any game for(artifacts were coming after 35-40 minutes game time)
    Its not the AGP bus as it does have a lock on it to keep it at 66/33.

Last night I narrowed it down to either the ram(pc3200) or the cpu.I tried a divider on the ram and set it to 2/3rds the fsb and still no artifacts so Im assuming the ram is overheating even with the cpu at the overclock above.I can get it up to 3.04 stable without any artifacts.

Questions are these:
    1.Do ram coolers work?
    2.Whats a safe voltage for pc3200 I have options of +0.1,0.2,0.3 and maybe it needs a bit of extra voltage to stay stable.
    3.Would using the divider permanently give less performance?
    4.Or should I just go and buy better quality ram?The stuff in this is crappy generic stuff that I "inheirited" from different systems along the way.
    5.Is 3.04 my max o/c and should I just let it be at that assuming 100mhz is will make no difference at all.

Cheers
    Richie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Hellrazer wrote:
    Questions are these:
    1.Do ram coolers work?
    2.Whats a safe voltage for pc3200 I have options of +0.1,0.2,0.3 and maybe it needs a bit of extra voltage to stay stable.
    3.Would using the divider permanently give less performance?
    4.Or should I just go and buy better quality ram?The stuff in this is crappy generic stuff that I "inheirited" from different systems along the way.
    5.Is 3.04 my max o/c and should I just let it be at that assuming 100mhz is will make no difference at all.
    1. Yes, to an extent. They are supposedly a b*tch to remove though.
    2. It depends on the RAM to be honest. But I would see if +0.1 and +0.2 help.
    3. I'm afraid I don't have any experience with P4's so I can't say.
    4. Yes, better quality RAM should allow a higher, more stable OC
    5. See 4. Also ensure you have adequate cooling in the case itself.

Advertisement