Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Advanced Motorists (IAM) and the Adv. Motorcycle test

Options
  • 23-09-2005 10:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

This is my experience with the Irish Advanced Motorists (IAM) and their Advanced Motorcycle test, told here so that others can learn from it.

To qualify for a discount on my insurance I applied for the IAM Advanced Motorcycle test early in September 2004.

A month passed, no word, so I contacted the Irish IAM office who claimed that they had send me a letter on the 27th September informing me that the examiner had been notified and that I should allow for 3 weeks for him to contact me. I received no such letter. I waited another month, still not a peep from the examiner. I emailed the IAM office again who told me they would send out a reminder to the examiner. Months went by, still no word from the examiner. Early March 2005, more than five months after my application I send off another email to the IAM office again complaining about not having been given an exam date.

Finally I received a call from their examiner: "Was I still interested in taking the exam?" I said yes (did he think I paid E80 because I needed to get rid of some money?), a date was agreed upon. The test was a bit of a joke, down to Greystones via the N11 and back to Dublin again via the N11, no bike inspection, no special manoeuvres. Anyway, I passed and was issued with a card stating that I would be "recommended for IAM membership" and that I could expect confirmation of this within a month.

5 weeks passed, no word from IAM. I fired off another email notifying them that I had not received my membership papers. I was told that IAM Ireland would check with their UK mother organization since they dealt with membership. I send another email after 2 months, I was told that there was a "slight delay in processing memberships". 3 months, still no word. I had it by this time, I fired off another email asking for my money back. Not knowing where the problem lay, I also emailed a complaint to IAM UK, to which I got no reply. Apologies followed from IAM Ireland, but no mention of my request to get my E80 back.

I am now in the process of trying to find out if there is a way for me to force them to return my money. This could be difficult, they claim to be a registered charity which means that the small claims court procedure isn't available to me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Tricia Warner

YOu could try writing exactly what you have posted here in a letter to Brian Lunn who is the Chief Examiner of the Institute of Advanced Motorists at their Head Office at IAM House, 510 Chiswick High Road, London W4 5RG.
    I had a similiar experience myself with the wait and the test, which was a joke. I already held a Rospa Gold, and I was so disappointed with the standard of thetest, and I kept losing my "Examiner" on the corners, that I wrote a letter of complaint to Brian Lunn, and the said examiner was removed from their approved board of examiners.
    Another friend of mine waite 15 months for a date for his test, and constantly had to pester IAM Kilkenny and IAM Chiswick.

Tricia

Advertisement