Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oak Stairs - advice wanted

Options
  • 23-09-2005 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi there,

I'm after some advice -

I had a concrete stairs finished with white oak e.g the newel posts,baulstrades and bannister. This was custom-built. The Oak has been left untreated for 1 year since it was made. One of my tasks over the coming weeks is to finish it off by wax, varnish - I welcome your comments.

The handrail is beginning to darken from use - should I leave it or try to redress?. There are pencil marks, a few rough spots to sand(?)and a some nail holes that I would like to fill that I need to address before I tackle it.

I would appreciate any advice on how to finish the stairs. I like the colour of the oak and don't want to hide its natural qualities - how do I go about preping the wood, is there anything I should avoid? I would appreciate any and all advice.

Thanks

Paul

Advertisement