Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The New R35 Skyline

Options
  • 22-09-2005 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭

I've just been looking at some info the new Nissan Skyline. On first impression, I have to say I'm disappointed with the way it looks. I think it resembles a fat Lexus with a nasty body kit and sport alloys. The back reminds me a Peugeot 607 or something like that. They've stuffed the iconic sports car into a business suit...for shame. What you do you guys think?

http://www.webwombat.com.au/motoring/news_reports/4_02_nis.htm

DC.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

rotten,

has that car got 4 doors????? :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Nasty. Why in god's name would they mess with such a classic car.I think the front kinnda looks like a porsche 911?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Way to **** up a great car :(

Looks like a wanky repmobile now.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

prospect wrote:
    rotten,

has that car got 4 doors????? :confused::confused:

It's available in 2 or 4 doors.

DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,945 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

those are bad piccies, basically what it really looks like is a 350z coupe or 4 door coupe style machine, its actually pretty nice :D

You also have to remember some of those are the bog std skylines, we are used to seeing the gtr which is like the BMW M3 version

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭dcGT

Cyrus wrote:
    those are bad piccies, basically what it really looks like is a 350z coupe or 4 door coupe style machine, its actually pretty nice :D

You also have to remember some of those are the bog std skylines, we are used to seeing the gtr which is like the BMW M3 version

Perhaps, but at least its predecessors had the potential to look really well in the GT-R model....this one would still look like a Lexus. Maybe they've tamed the looks down to appeal more to people who could actually afford one (older, weathier people).

DC.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theShire

Yeah, this is the saloon version of the new "skyline"- if you can call it that! if you check up skyline history you'll see that most were available as a 4dr saloon but what we associate with the Skyline name are the GT-R32/R33/R34 which are awesome lookin and powerfull cars!

But, I do agree that the new skyline does not fit with the though, aggressive image of the older versions. It has become too refined and the 3dr looks more like a luxury coupe rather than a sportscar!

pr_photo01.jpg

Although if this article was true(not sure of the date), it would appear that they are separating the skyline between it's saloon and sports coupe history which I believe would be a good thing, just look at that pic!
    http://www.fantasycars.com/1/News/Skyline35/skyline35.html

Nope, just been on Nissan press site(http://press.nissan-global.com/EN/PHOTOGRAPHS/jp_sports.html) and looks like the saloon/coupe will be similar designs- damn!

Just saw your post 'powerhousedan' and those two Skylines definately are the way Nissan should be goin forward with the R35!

Those definately fit in with the sports car heritage of the Skyline

If you take a look online it looks like the Skyline Coupe above is the same as the Infiniti G35 coupe, yeah, I know Infiniti is a Nissan brand! So it looks like the skyline may only be marketed as a JDM car(which it always was) while in the States it will be the Infiniti G35 Coupe, but obviously without any of that famous NISMO tuning!

I sure hope Nissan go with those two pics above- you know the ones I mean, they actually look like a Skyline!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

Wouldn't be surprised if the 4 door was styled in their US design centre.
    I can't help thinking about what happened to the QX....a sales disaster if ever there was one.

Imho the best looking skylines were the GT-R bad-boys and
    not the the other $hitty ones that are more often seen. (e.g.
    Haddington Rd. outside the crack clinic).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Delta_ie

That model of skyline has been around for a couple of years now and was just ment to be a sports/luxury car, no connection with the GTR model.
    It has also been rumoured that the new GTR( was supposed to be released world wide by 2007) will be a purposed bulit chasis and car.
    Also all them pics are only artists impressions, not official nissan design...

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Cerberus

I wouldn't get too worried about new GTR looking like that car. You have to remember that in Japan there is the Skyline and then there is the GTR. Take a look at a bog standard 2L R34 Skyline produced for the mass market (poxy in my opinion) and then take a look at the R34 GTR (what the devil drives :cool: ). The same parallel can be drawn between a lancer and an evo in previous versions. They share a name and a few panels but that's about all.

If you ever watched any of the Best Motoring International videos you'd see what I mean. They don't call it "the Skyline GTR" or "the GTR" - it's just "GTR".

Anyways, before the days of Fast and the Furious, the GTR was cool not becuse of the way it looked (R33 was ugly) but because of the way it destroyed nearly every other production car on the planet on the track. I've seen videos of an unmodifed R34 GTR completely and utterly destroy a Ferrari 360 Modena on the Tsukaba race track. At the time, that was the best car Ferrari had to offer and the R34 was a few years old.

I have no doubt that the R35 GTR is gonna be a bad ass, evil as hell looking piece of kit with the ability to humble any production car on earth. I'd say the power "ban" (280bhp)in Japan is gonna be thrown out the door as well given that hot hatches are now pushing the 250bhp mark and new M3s are gonna be pushing 500bhp. The GTR is iconic at this stage and no motor company is gonna disown or throw away an iconic car. Before the STIs and EVOs this car was the seminal display of Japanese car technology. I, for one, welcome our new GTR overlords :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Do you really think that the R34 GTR even in stock spec put outs 280Bhp?
    No way.
    The engineers may say that it is 280 but their tongues are firmly in their cheeks.
    The self imposed 280 limit is long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Cerberus

CJhaughey wrote:
    Do you really think that the R34 GTR even in stock spec put outs 280Bhp?
    No way.
    The engineers may say that it is 280 but their tongues are firmly in their cheeks.
    The self imposed 280 limit is long gone.

True. The RB26DETT usually dyno's around the 320bhp mark. That's why I put the word "ban" in quotes. :rolleyes:
    It's still far behind the 400+bhp figures that european and american sports cars of its era were putting out and yet it still demolished them on anything bar the fastest of tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,228 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Cyrus wrote:
    the gtr which is like the BMW M3 version
    *spits drink and forces self not to be rude* Is it really?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,945 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

unkel wrote:
    *spits drink and forces self not to be rude* Is it really?

erm dunno if your annoyed cos i stated the obvious or because you feel my comparison is off :D

but what im trying to say is that the gtr is the performance figurehead of a particular model in the nissan range, some of the lower end cars in the same range are quite bland, i was just pointing this out as soon people just take skyline to equate to the gtr which of course isnt true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Wow thats ugly.. thats worse then the mess Ford made of the Mustang a couple of years ago.. (now thankfully rectified).

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Kaskade

I wouldnt worry too much about that R35 its just the mainstream skyline. The new GTR (If they make one!) will inevitably be a monster!

Skyline ownership is becoming costly the way petrol is going in Ireland!

R35GTR.jpg

R35GTR.jpg

R36GTRR.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Kaskade

Forgot to say heres an interview with Senior VP of Design Shiro Nakamura

http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/showthread.php?t=38135

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

Don't like the new Skyline at all.

And the more I see of the new Civic, the more I hate it.

To be blunt:
    Why is it that car design seemed to be at it's peak from 95 - 00.

And then everything went to shight?

Edit: Ok well not everything, Imprezas kept getting cooler, Evos rock and the 350Z is supreme...but you catch my drift anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

Dagon wrote:
    To be blunt:
    Why is it that car design seemed to be at it's peak from 95 - 00.

Different strokes for different folks...

I quite like the new skyline...the stock one isn't that nice, its been out for months now. But some of the kits really set it off. Can't wait for the new GTR :eek:

I was really considering getting an R34 GTST but the price of petrol has turned me off cars altogether for the time being. I'm setting my eyes on 2 wheels till this madness ends :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 darren05

yea the the best skyline nissan ever made was the r34 gtr and then they go and reck the history and make a big ugly computer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

Ummm, Nissan are dropping the Skyline tag and releasing the Skyline GTR replacement simply as the "Nissan GTR". It'll cost in excess of 60K sterling and put out in excess of 400hp with the advanced 4wd system we would expect

You can see what it'll look like on this video concept

Tokyo show video

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

the front of that car looks amazing imo.
    its a bit strange them getting rid of a household name of skyline

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

the way i always gauge how nice the incoming model compares to the outgoing is... if you feel it is beautiful but it is going in a direction you don't like, don't agree with your friends when they say it's horrible. you will always look like a prophet when they do a U-turn and say it's gorgeous.
    the job of the design dept. is to predict how you would like to feel about their car on the future and do that. look at porsche- the 911 is beautiful but seems to have been around forever. if nissan repeated the R34 forever, it wouldn't matter if it were the fastest car in the world.
    the outgoing 4 door looks like it's neither fish nor foul. they seem to have rectified this because i thought it was gorgeous. ditto the coup.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,228 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Looks very Japanese, which of course isn't a good thing
    Mayshine wrote:
    It'll cost in excess of 60K sterling

So with VRT and higher VAT it will probably be around the €120k mark here. LOL! Nissan might sell 2 or 3 per year to jap car afficionados maybe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

I don't think Nissan give a toss about the Irish market with this car. This is being released globaly for the first time (i.e the US and Europe) to go head to head with the 911.

We'll see how it goes, however it will look far better then any previous version of the GTR which in my mind like the subaru impreza is a pinacle of ugly design.
    darren05 wrote:
    yea the the best skyline nissan ever made was the r34 gtr and then they go and reck the history and make a big ugly computer

But the history is that it is a big ugly computer with a ton of advanced technology. Its the engine and tech that makes it a legend, not the styling or interior

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I know someone that has one, he imported it last year, there's 2 of them in Ireland. next time he's in the office I'll take a photo for you. It is a skyline but it's not the GTR, it's ment to be an executive saloon, the GTR is the sports version....

Advertisement