Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Stolen!

• 22-09-2005 10:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

My moped got stolen last night by scumbags no doubt! Its was a 04 sr50. I rang the gards first thing and they and took a report, and said "They would keep an eye out for it" which is very reassuring. I had the steering lock on it so the only way the could have taken it, is in a van of some sort. There is a halting site not too far down the road from me (and i dont want to stereotype the travelling community in any way) but they do have alot of vans and from personal experiances with them they would be the type to take the bike, i walked down by there this mornin and i couldnt really see into the place and im afraid if i confront them in anyway there might be trouble. Has anyone any ideas or has experianced this before?
    Cheers,
    Danny

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

even if you did see it you more than likely wouldnt recognise it has half the body would have been stripped off it

in my experiences it usually johnny and all his knacker mates who nick bikes (not travellers)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Daniel_109

But i dont think johnny and his nacker mates would have a van to put the bike into!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

You're blaming thinkers for robbing your bike? Claim insurance maybe, if you value your life that is... Eh it's not hard to snap the steering lock on mopeds, so it could have been anyone. So be a little open minded about it and hound those bastard gardai, as they won't do a damn thing anyway... ;)

It was only covered for 3rd party, so its not covered for theift! So i really dont know what i payed €2000 on insurance for!!

Aye. A steering lock isn't a security measure, they're easily broken with enough force.

If you had locked it outside, chances are they broke the steering lock, and wheeled the bike off down the road.

Well if anybody sees a red sr50 with Mo plates on it being drivin around lucan with johnny and his knacker friends on it let me know!!

I'll keep an eye out.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

First off, bad luck on having your bike nicked-fcukin scumbags.

They wouldn't need a van. They just put a skateboard under the bike and wheel it off to break the steering lock out of sight.

Your house insurance could cover some of the cost (maybe up to €1200, but no more).

It might have been the tinkers, bt equally if not more likely it was tracker-knackers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

I had mine robbed 2 years ago , yep same thing third party only and just the steering lock , turned out it was some knacks from a housing estate .I put up reward signs an the guys who robbed it rang me up , How I know it was them was they described my ped to a t but when they brought me up to it I could hardly recognise it as it was a complete write off even the seat was gone off it .So heres me an the bf in a very dodgy area with 6 or 7 scumbags so I told em the guards were on the way although they werent , the guards actually said to me when I rang well it sounds like too much of a write off to investigate and you have no evidence get someone with a trailer to move it :rolleyes:
    Anyway to follow was a few days of been called on my mobile and called a wh*re by said scumbags and calls from said scumbags posing as members of the guards etc etc.
    Off to bike shop get offered 500e for parts for a ped that cost me 2650 new , Next off to credit union 2800 loan 2500 for new bike and 300 for lock and a bit to bring the last few months of me insurance up to fully comp.

Stick up a few signs ya might just be lucky , hopefully yours will come back in a better state than mine did.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Don't just wrap a lock around any bike-they can just be lifted away. You must lock it to something. I bought a 'ground anchor' for £8 off eBay. It's bolted into a SOLID concete path with security bolts that are then covered by the lock when in use. A fair bit of noise would have to be made and some time would have to be taken to take the bike (though any lock is breakable!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭MizzKattt

Sorry to hear that Daniel 109. I have had two bikes stolen from my home. One was a minibike, a 50. The other was my 94 Yamaha FZR. Didn't feel good either time. I hope you find it intact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

I know this doesn't really compare but I had my mountain bike robbed today...it was quite an expensive one and a witness said it was two pikey looking fellas. I really wish I had've caught them...i'd be starting my own thread in PI about going to jail soon. I really don't understand this kind of behaviour. And to all those people who stick up for the "travelling community" - just wait til they rob something belong to you and see how politically correct you are. They are scum bags pure and simple. A waste of oxygen.

i got the bike back!!!! :D

Got a call from the gardaí shichalmaloney today sayin they had located my bike!! They found it in drimnagh!! A few scratches and the ignition is fecked and so is the seat but its not too bad!! Im very suprised i got it back! I had given up hope after 3 weeks!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

happy for ye dude, you actually did really well in getting it back so intact

did they catch the dudes or was it just dumped??? stupid question i know but how many extra miles on it (im just being nosey really)

As far as i know it was dumped, they couldnt get the seat opened to put petrol into it im guessing!! forgot to check the milage on it, im collecting it in a few mins so i will let yis know!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

That's great news, even better because it was complelty unexpected.

Invest in a ground anchor and a decent chain as soon as you can after getting it back though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Ah nice one, congrads on getting it back