Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Driving far too fast on m-way

Options
  • 21-09-2005 6:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭

I upgraded to a bigger bike 6 months ago and I'm still not used to its speed. I find myself breaking the speed limit on the motorway nearly every day purely by accident , sometimes by 40 kph !!. Constantly checking the speedo is not an option for me as I think it is very distracting .

Is there any device to fit to a bike that warns you when you go over a set speed ?? or does anyone have some better suggestions ?

Thanks
    K

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

what bike is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What motorway? On the M50 you'd easily realise when you're breaking the limit, as the traffic rarely goes above 70mph on a good day.

6 months ago? Are you wearing earplugs? I would generally have a good idea how fast I'm going by the gear I'm in, and the sound of the engine. Granted, my bike's not big, but it should still hold.

I guess your only option is to have a look at your speedo. When it's vibrating too much to read, you're going too fast! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭pbergin

Ive never seen anything for a bike which warns you if you go too fast. You could try something like this www.sportvue.com buts its v expensive for a gadget.
    Experience is your best friend. I have a what some might call a big bike (Aprilia Falco) and I can normally tell within 10kph what speed Im doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Garibaldi

OT, but you caused a pang of nostalgia: I miss my Falco. :'(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

That sportvue thing is nice. I though about trying to make one of those myself before. Someone bet me to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,504 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

There is GPS software available that will provide an audible speed alert, when you pass a specific speed threshhold (either user-defined or based on the speed limit of the road), however, the more common bike-suitable GPS devices (Garmin Quest, Street Pilot (don't know about the TomTom rider yet)) don't support this.

The iNav software is an example... Works with PDAs, but you wouldn't want to use a GPS capable PDA on a bike (vibrations and lack of weather protection)..

Maybe the TomTom Rider will feature it, but expect to pay around a grand for it..

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

I have a GPS device in my car. It's still there from the old traksure policy I used to have with AXA. Have since switched insurers but have not removed the tracking system (laziness). This is well over a year ago and I was supposed to give it back (after paying 1100 quid). Might take it out and see if I can use it to my advantage somehow.

Anyway, it lets a long beep when you go a tad over 65 MPH. Although quite pointless for a bike because it's probably too big to fit and you wouldn't hear the damn thing thus making my post irrelevant.

Sorry about that :)

Slaan.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,504 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Most devices can be connected to an AutoCom system or directly to a headphone system which would allow you to hear it from speakers inside your helmet (not sure about the legalities though!)..

The TomTom Rider is a BlueTooth-based system, that connects to Bluetooth speakers in your helmet.. Very nice piece of kit, but you could probably buy a back-up bike for the same price..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

K-TRIC wrote:
    Is there any device to fit to a bike that warns you when you go over a set speed ?? or does anyone have some better suggestions ?
    K

Sorry, had to offer this as a solution:
    You are more than welcome to swap your bike for my BROS which has a lovely little red light that you can just see in your peripherial vision when you go above 85kmph. :D
    Thankfully it doesn't "bing" like imported micra's!

Seriously though, you will get used to the speed differences on different bikes - my other bike (royal enfield) is a tad different speed and certainly braking wise, and I switch between them on alternate days.

L.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭saobh_ie

Just pay attention to the speedo, if your able to do your mirror checks you should be able to look at your speedo.

What type of bike did you get? one with a notoriously crap speedo?

You should really have gotten attuned to the machine and the speed limits by now… in a motorway situation you should accelerate up to speed, look at your speedo and when you see your there just set your throttle and you shouldn’t be accelerating any more.

Basically you

- Must try harder…

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

saobh_ie wrote:

What type of bike did you get? one with a notoriously crap speedo?

No, one with notoriously heavely baffled pipes. It has been compared to the Jetsons car on occasions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Ah come mate, what bike did you get?! So i know who it is flying past me on the motorway ;)

Advertisement