Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeless doggy

Options
  • 21-09-2005 2:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭

Hi all,

A colleague of mine took in a dog that was wandering in her area a couple of days ago. According to the vet the dog is approximately 12 years old and is very arthritic. It is not from the area and given the arthritis it is unlikely that she strayed, but rather was abandoned.

My colleague has a dog herself who is not too happy about this visitor. She has phoned around to all of the rescue centres in Dublin but for obvious reasons, none of them can afford the space for an old no-hoper like this.

She is going through the process of advertising the dog as found and so on, but on the assumption that the poor little thing was abandoned then a long term solution has to be found.

Does anybody have any suggestions?? The vet said that she's a healthy dog with only the arthritis as a problem so it would be an awful shame to have her put to sleep.

Thanks,

Dilly

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

It's not so much that the rescues won't take on a dog of this age - they are all so full at the moment.
    If you look on IrishAnimals.com you will find advice on what to do if a dog is found.
    The evening herald will let you place a free lost & found advert and you can put a photo of the dog up on IrishAnimals.com.
    Also has she checked with the local garda stations / vet as they keep lists of lost & found pets? Did the vet check in case the dog was microchipped?
    Hope some of this helps ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

Have been in touch with this lady and hopefully will cross post for her on a few sites tomorrow - fingers x she can get some help
    These people are going to quite some effort to help this dog - not many people bother so wishing for the best ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Dilly

Hi guys,

First of all, I didn't at all mean for it to sound like I was complaining about the rescue centres! I genuinely meant that it's understandable there is no room for the doggy given the volume of strays and abandoned doggies there are at any given time. I've nothing but respect for them.

Anyway, we've gone through all of the suggestions above for advertising her but I reckon at this stage that it's down to pulling on the heart strings of friends and family until we find someone to take her in. Unfortunately I have house rabbit myself so I can't take her...

I really think that it is worth making an effort for this dog because given her age, it seems an awfully undignified way to see out your twilight years. I know I wouldn't like to be in the situation when my time comes!

Anyway, thanks for the replies, I'll keep you updated

Dilly

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭case_sensitive

Wow, dejá vue.. a friend of family died, and left two aged, but lovely dogs behind, we ended up taking in Suzie, a 14-year old artritis-ravaged collie two years ago, which our two existing dogs weren't too impressed with. In a more 'youthful' enviroment, and with the other dogs, she got better for a while, but after 18 months her legs got so bad she couldn't stand up without falling for more than 2 minutes, so we brought her to the vet.
    Tried to find a sympathetic dog household that'll take her, but it's going to be hard on them when she inevitably dies, possibly in pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Dilly

EXCELLENT NEWS EVERYONE!!

The little doggy has found a home at a rescue home in Mullingar called Briarfields. A wonderful man and his wife have agreed to take her on.

I've always been a big believer of the saying "The more I see of people, the more I love my dog" but when you have the opportunity to interact with people like these, and all of the other people who have helped (especially the lovely lady from another rescue centre who took it upon herself to phone EVERYWHERE looking for a home) that you think, hey, maybe they're not all that bad... ;)

Well done guys, and keep up the good work!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

so glad you found somewhere for her to go :)

Advertisement