Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxer Pup

Options
  • 21-09-2005 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm planning on buying a boxer pup (male) in the coming weeks. I've experience of living, minding, walking, interacting with them.

Where is the best place to begin looking? What do I look for? How do I know the pup is ok and from a healthy good natured backround, and hasn't come from a backyard breeding camp-exploiting it's mother?

What should I expect to pay?

Any help/tips much appreciated - wanna do this right.

Thanks,
    Ciarán.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

I think a good place to start is the Irish Kennel Club.

http://www.ikc.ie/

They have contact details for the Boxer association of Ireland, plus tips on what to look for.

We have owned 3 boxers ourselves. Simply the best dogs ever, you'll not regret it. So good with children too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Thanks for the info. good place to start i guess.

Anymore, anyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭kestrel

don't feel tied into buying the first pup you see. i know they're always cute and lovable and oh so adorable, but try suppress all that for a while. look at the mother, pet her, look for signs of skin/eye/bone problems in the mother and the pups. you'll be able to tell a lot from the owners and how they are as people, and how they interact with their dog. a good breeder will be critical of you and how you are going to look after the pup (give you lots of information, maybe even type you up something) and will seem sad to let the pup go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

i have a boxer too, so naturally good, a great dog. We got him from an animal welfare rescue centre, I know its a slim chance, but maybe try some of them and give a good home to a dog that needs it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

heggie wrote:
    i have a boxer too, so naturally good, a great dog. We got him from an animal welfare rescue centre, I know its a slim chance, but maybe try some of them and give a good home to a dog that needs it :)

that is of course another option. did this in the past with a female boxer 5 years of age, who had been abused/battered by her previous owner (if you could call him that). She had no sight and hearing on her left side thanks to repeated blows to that side of her head. Thankfully she lived out her final years happy, fed, unabused and passed away peacefully 2 years ago.

• Advertisement
Advertisement