Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I let him sell my pony?

Options
  • 21-09-2005 8:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭

I have two ponys which are kept on grass at my family home. One of the two, Fergus is a 13:2hh that I acquired from the owner of a racing stables that I worked in when he left the country. Fergus is an old man, who we loan to various kids for Pony Club events and although he's grumpy he keeps Tequila(the other pony) company. Other than that, we hack him out from time to time and it's more of a laugh having two ponies on the go when my sister and I are around.

However...the parent has been going on for ages about getting rid of Fergus and my sister told me last night that he has a buyer organised for today to take him away. I've been told nothing about it, I guess he figured that I would go away to college and he'd mention it a month down the line... and what could I say then?

So.. Why should we keep the little grumpy man? Horses are basically social animals, so he is keeping Tequila company. There are however horses in the fields surrounding us pretty much all year round. The times that I am around are a lot more fun.

Or get rid of him. I know the man that is interested in him. The parent would get good money.. and he'd be going to a good home where he'd be put to work.

Seeing as I'm away most of the time in college, am I being selfish in wanting to keep him or do I really have Tequilas best interest at heart?

..So... Should I confront the parent and convince him not to sell him, or should I let him go to a new home?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Sell him. let your parents have the money but ask them could part of it be spent on an old pony that won't cost much. Something to keep the other horses company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Maybe you should keep in touch with the people who buy him, too, so you can go and visit him now and then? That way, if they want to sell him on again, you have a chance to buy him back, if you want, rather than letting him disappear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

How old is he?, has he been throught the mill?. An older horse is not cheaper to keep. If he was really old and you had no choice that he had to go, if it was me and the horse had a few problems (even minor that could get worse) I would have the horse pts. I would be too worried about the horse being shunted from pillar to post, or shipped out to Britain where his age and health may be lied about. For some funny reason Irish horses tend to go for silly money over there. Especially if he is in any way a cob!.

Have you vetted the future home. Good luck in getting him sorted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Doper Than U

Tough choice. I know I'd keep him, but then I'm a sentimental sop when it comes to that. How old is Fergus? and how much does he cost to keep? If they're just out at grass, then surely his costs wouldn't be too bad.
    I know you say there are other horses in neighbouring fields, but is that company? It might be unfair to Tequila to just get rid of Fergus and not replace him, but then that would probably defeat the whole purpose of selling him (i.e. the money).
    He sounds like a great old chap, with lots of character. If he's getting on in years, how fair is it on him to be sold on? Go on.. fight for him!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭cuaifeadh

TBH, I've been fighting a losing battle for months now to keep him. After dinner today my father dissapeared in his jeep to go to our house where we keep the horses and to most certainly meet up with the man. I know the guy, and he has nice stables and is well educated when it comes to taking care of horses so there'll be no trouble there. He even agreed previously that we could come and visit him. There was no trouble with the cost of keeping him, two is just as easy as one. I might have a chat with our neighbours who also keep horses to see if we can set up shared grazing to give Tequila a bit of company. I'm really dissapointed although, that nothing was mentioned to me about it. Should I confront my father when he comes home or just leave the issue.. I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Doper Than U

What is the reason for selling him if he's not costing anything? I don't see the motivation.. unless it's just one of those Irish country things of "sell it if you can" regardless of whether you actually need to sell it. I can totally understand your disappointment, but at least you know who the pony will be going to, and that you can visit. One thing though, if you want the pony back if this guy decides to sel him on, make it crystal clear to him. I'm still trying to buy back my old mare after the owners promised I'd get first offer if they sold. She's been through about 4 different owners since, and my heart is broken trying to trace her.

I would definitely talk to your dad about it, but I wouldn't rush in guns blazing, just try to figure out why he though Fergus should go. And the shared grazing for Tequila is a good idea.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭junkyard

I'd agree with 'Doper than U' but get first pick at buying him back with regular check-ups by you. I can't understand why your father wants to sell the pony, it must be a farmer thing. Theres no way I could sell any of my pets, big or small. Sorry for your troubles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

I am sending you a lot of light and love in these troubled times.

I think honesty and openness is something a child can expect from a parent. The way you describe it your father isn't very honest at the moment. I would confront him. After all, Fergus is part of the family and I agree with the last two posts - why sell in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

I think honesty and openness is something a child can expect from a parent.

The OP is in college, hardly a child I think!.

If Fergus is going to a good home than it can`t be a bad thing. If hes kept in suitable work it will stop him from stiffening up. What are you going to do about the remaining one, perhaps they can share grasing with your neighbours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

Honey I have to say I would have words with your father if I was you. There doesnt seem to be any motivation for selling the pony. He is not costing anything extra to keep. He is good company for the other pony and I thinkl it wou dbe a pity to split them up as they have been together a while.
    Have you though about leasing him while you are in college? That way your parents will get the money from the lease but he will still be your pony and you can take him back if you are not happy? I always believe that older ponies deserve to be looked after as a reward for the work they have done in their younger years for us. I lease a horse myself and the arrangement works out great. I pay for her livery and vets bill etc and treat her like my own. technically she is not mine but Im just as happy as I know the lady I lease her off and we get on great. She prefers things this wasy so that If I decide I dont want the pony any more it will go back to her and she doesnt have to worry that I might sell her to someone who wouldnt look after her.
    hope this helps!

• Advertisement
Advertisement