Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A little info needed...

Options
  • 20-09-2005 10:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭

Hi,

First off I know this is the 'shooting' section and my question may be a little out of place, but I thought maybe some of ye guys would be able to help.

Right here goes,

I came across a private dealer in the UK who has for sale a very nice old replica flintlock pistol (Quality made, just like the real thing) but is inert as it doesnt have the touch hole drilled. :)

I am extrememely interested in this flintlock and am looking to buy it ;)

However......... :confused: .......after doing a little research I discovered that I may not be able to just buy this pistol and have it sent in the post!

I payed the local Garda station a visit and asked the same question (poor young guy was baffled) he told me to get in contact with the department of Justice, that I may need an 'Import Licence'? (I dont have a gun licence nor would have no use for one). Then another Garda came over, I explained the situation and he didnt seem to think an 'import licence' was needed. :confused::confused:

So........after all that (I was more confused than I was before I went into the station), I sent the 'Firearms and Explosives' section of the DoJ a mail looking for info, but in the mean time can any of you guys give me any info. Have any of ye been in the same posistion?

Thanks for any help,

Croppyboy1798

(Moderator, if this topic does not fit the section I do apologise)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

If it's a replica (and not a deactivated firearm, for example) then it doesn't need a licence.

There's a gun dealer down the country who impiorted buckets of these for sale in antique shops etc, and checked out the legalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭SpitfireIV

Hi Civdef,

thanks for the reply, yes, it is a replica, but an old one, has a full barrell (minus the touch hole), workings etc, not like those cheap 'Denix' replicas, the thing that worries me is, when it arrived in the 'an Post' sorting office on the Naas Road that all they'll see is a gun in a box and.............*BANG* in it goes to a dark damp store room forever.

"There's a gun dealer down the country who impiorted buckets of these for sale in antique shops etc, and checked out the legalities."

Any more info on this guy? Or the shops he supplies too..........you have my full attention now! lol.

Thanks again :)

CroppyBoy1798

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

The worst that would happen if it was held up would be that it was sent to Garda ballistics for examination to verify it wasn't a firearm.

Talking to the Dept in advance isn't a bad plan.

Heres a few pics, might as well throw them in...

[IMG][/img]b9_1_b.jpg

[IMG][/img]1132.jpg

It is a replica alright and I am grateful for your help, just hope I can get the darned thing now.

CroppyBoy1798

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Flattop 15

You could always get a flight over to the UK,buy it and return to Ireland with it in your CHECKED HOLD LUGGAGE.Not your carry on luggage ,and seeing that it is a replica and was never designed to fire,nor was it a real one that has been deacted.It is a liscense free item.I bought once a Ingram mac 11 copy in Cork off one of those "antiquey" repro type shops.All I had to do was give them my name&address for the Gaurds,but without any ID,or any formal paperwork.
    Again,this was more to proably spook off gurriers than prevent sales.All in all,I think they wouldnt be too worried about these replicas as they are nigh on impossible to convert to fire.Their metal is cheap cast,the tolerances to actual firearm parts is way out.Even the mags wont allow a live round to feed from it.You would be better off building a DIY gun from scratch. Ditto your flintlock.

• Advertisement

Once again guys, thanks for the replies, ;)

Ok, now a 'what if' scenario........

(I'm just throwing out ideas here) But what if I went ahead and agreed the sale, and had the seller in the UK send it by International Signed for mail, (that way I could track its progress). Do you think I'd get it or would it be stopped? If it were stopped would I get in trouble? I mean I am confused about this, the two Gardai I talked to, one said I may need an import licence, the other didnt think one was needed, DoJ still havent got back to me and I'm a little edgy with this subject. I dont want to be up in court or something for illegally importing weapons of mass destruction :(

Cheers for your help guys,

CroppyBoy1798

Advertisement